(Updated at 2:05 p.m.) More than 800 Dominion customers are without power in parts of Clarendon, Lyon Village and Cherrydale.
The outage was reported around 1:30 p.m. Police are on scene along Wilson Blvd in Clarendon, helping to direct traffic that backed up as a result of stop lights going dark.
Dominion says the cause of the outage is a “circuit out.”
Rain and wind have been picking up this afternoon, ahead of potential severe weather later today. The National Weather Service has now issued both a Severe Thunderstorm Watch and a Wind Advisory for Arlington — as well as much of the region.
Severe Thunderstorm Watch bas been issued for all of our area. A couple of tornadoes possible, isolated hail, and widespread 70MPH wind gusts is expected. pic.twitter.com/qIYYKhuTUr
— Washingtonian Weather Geeks (@WashingtonianWx) March 31, 2022
Forecasters say that wind gusts up to 50 mph may bring down trees and large branches. From NWS:
141 PM EDT Thu Mar 31 2022
…WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING…
* WHAT…South winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 50 mph expected.
* WHERE…District of Columbia, and portions of central, northern and southern Maryland, central and northern Virginia and panhandle West Virginia.
* WHEN…Until 8 PM EDT this evening.
* IMPACTS…Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects. Isolated tree damage and a few power outages may result.
Use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high profile vehicle. Secure outdoor objects.
Peggy Fox, a spokeswoman for the power company, said this morning that residents should charge their mobile devices in anticipation of the expected windy weather.
Strong wind gusts may bring down branches & trees today!
Plan for possible outages:
1. Charge devices
2. Download @DominionEnergy app. Reporting outage on app or website gets quickest response
3. Be Safe—stay away from downed lines
4. Please don’t plant trees near lines pic.twitter.com/31W65QUlvE
— Peggy Fox (@PeggyDomEnergy) March 31, 2022
Update at 9:40 p.m. — All lanes have reopened, Arlington County says. Update at 6:40 p.m. — The southbound lanes have reopened but the northbound lanes are expected to remain…
Enjoy alpacas, farmers markets and more at the Loudoun County Spring Farm Tour May 21-22.
A local man raised nearly $2,000 holding a yard sale this past weekend to help children impacted by the war. Constantin a Ukrainian-American who lives in Arlington’s East Falls Church…
Cali is the newest Adoptable Pet of the Week who loves treats, watching Netflix and nose boops.