ACPD: Man threatened to pull gun on animal control officer over off-leash dog

Marcey Road Park sign (file photo)

Police are looking for a man who allegedly threatened to pull a gun on an animal control officer after being confronted over an off-leash dog.

The incident happened Saturday morning in the area of Marcey Road Park and Potomac Overlook Regional Park, in North Arlington.

No one was hurt, no gun was actually seen, and responding officers were unable to locate the suspect, according to an Arlington County police spokeswoman. More, below, from ACPD.

THREATS, 2024-04060086, 2700 block of N. Marcey Road. At approximately 9:20 a.m. on April 6, police were dispatched to the report of threats. Upon arrival, it was determined the victim, an Animal Welfare League of Arlington animal control officer, observed the suspect walking an off leash dog and engaged him in conversation, during which the suspect made an obscene gesture towards them, implied a firearm and made threatening statements. The animal control officer then left the area and called police while the suspect fled the scene. No injuries were reported and no weapon was observed. Responding officers canvassed the area for the suspect yielding negative results. The suspect is described as a Black male, approximately 6’2” wearing a red hoodie and black pants. The investigation is ongoing.

A witness told ARLnow that the man seemed irate at being asked to put his dog back on a leash, noting that off leash dogs are not uncommon at the park.

“We didn’t think anything of it until the guy with the dog yelled something and then as we passed him he turned to the Arlington [animal control] dude and said you know I have a gun on me, and put his hands down his shorts as if to threaten to pull it,” the witness said. “We guessed the [animal control] guy asked him to put his dog on leash and he freaked out. Even though all the dogs are off leash once you get onto the trails.”

The witness said he and a friend were walking in the area at the time with two children. After the threats were made, they quickly rushed the children to safety.