Arlington police are investigating a series a break-ins at the Crystal House apartments on South Eads Street in Crystal City.
Building management sent the following email to residents earlier this week to update them on the investigation and to provide tips for keeping the community safe.
Dear Crystal Houses Residents:
I have received further information from the detective investigating the apartment break-ins that took place at our community, and I wanted to provide you with an update.
The police have now released a description of the suspects. They have asked that we please be on the lookout for two African-American males in their 20s, approximately six feet tall, one with dreadlocks. If you see anyone matching this description or have any information regarding this matter, please contact the Arlington County Police Department immediately. If you believe you or anyone else is in immediate danger, call 911.
As a reminder, we encourage you to let us know if you see anything suspicious taking place at our community as soon as possible. In addition, there are some things we can all do to help deter crime from our community:
- Always use your key to enter the building, rather than buzzing in. This allows our concierge to check in guests and require them to sign in. Please note that if you do not use your key, and the Resident Concierge buzzes you in, you will be asked to sign in on the guest log. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.
- Never leave valuables in plain sight in your car or in your apartment home.
- Keep your doors properly secured at all times, even when you are at home. Please utilize your deadbolt lock and chain.
- Do not allow anyone you do not know to follow you into the building without using a key. Please be aware when allowing individuals to enter the elevator from the loading dock area without a key.
- Report any suspicious or criminal activity immediately to the police department or call 911.
Arlington County Police are working diligently to apprehend these suspects that have been implicated in similar crimes at several nearby communities. If you have any specific information to share with the police, you may contact Detective Guevara at 703.228.4172. We will continue to cooperate with the authorities in this matter. Thank you again and please feel free to contact me or any member of our community management staff if you have any questions or concerns.
Yesterday several commercial break-ins — including a break-in at a secure government office building — were reported in Crystal City, but the crimes are not believed to be related to the apartment break-ins.
Update at 10:05 a.m. — Per the reported break-ins yesterday: Arlington Police say that glass was broken at two Crystal Drive storefronts, but nothing was taken. There was no record of the reported government building break-in.