While some have expressed concern over recent attacks on female joggers, the police department insists that “there has not been an increase in crimes against pedestrians.” Nonetheless, ACPD is advising joggers and pedestrians to follow the following safety tips.
- Run with others if possible
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Know what route you are traveling, especially if walking or running during the dark
- Do not listen to music or talk on the phone while jogging, you cannot hear other people approach you.
- Carry a cell phone with you. If you are assaulted, calling police immediately increases the chance the suspect will be apprehended.
- Listen to your instincts. If a passerby makes you feel uncomfortable, walk or run to a well-lit area.
“If anyone has been the victim of an assault while walking or jogging, and has not reported it, please call the Police Department Non-Emergency line at (703) 558-2222,” the department said in a press release.