44°Overcast

Car Catches Fire Next to Northside Social

by ARLnow.com November 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm 4,331 26 Comments

For the second time this fall, a car has burst into flames in the parking lot adjacent to Northside Social in Clarendon.

A gray sedan caught fire in the lot just after 2:00 this afternoon. An Arlington County fire marshal spotted the blaze and was the first to call for a fire engine. The flames were extinguished by 2:15, according to witness accounts.

Unlike the car fire in September, which occurred on the end of the lot closest to George Mason University’s Arlington campus, this fire occurred on the end closest to Northside Social (3211 Wilson Boulevard) and the Clarendon business district.

No injuries were reported as a result of the blaze.

Photos courtesy @miqci

  • Josh S

    Bizarre and it’s somewhat hard to believe this is a coincidence.

    • Tre

      I think it must have to do with the nearby electrical power station combined with the epicenter of North Arlington smugness and aliens (the illegal kind).

      • JamesE

        That 60 Hz hum is quite soothing.

      • Smoke_Jaguar4

        … and don’t forget the Catholic Church that’s right there. This has all the background of a B-grade horror flick.

  • Arlington, Northside

    It happens. Would not read much into it, now if it happens again there this year….

  • nunya

    car-b-qs. the new cupcake rage of arlington.

    • ArLater

      Had to find something to replace the summer of bank robberies!

    • BlueSkies

      LOL!

  • drax

    Caution: Coffee is hot!

    • Just the Facts

      LOL

  • Chris

    Flip or get the frack out.

  • charlie

    didn’t we have a camaro do it earlier this summer at the other end of the block? Maybe George Mason needs to run an Auto Mechanic class along with the law school? Or better yet St. Charles does a blessing of the cars at some point…

    • ArlingtonChick

      Auto Mechanic classes would be more useful than law classes.

  • JamesE

    Probably an automatic.

    • drax

      LOL!

    • UnlimitedCustoms

      What if it was a burning clutch?

    • Bluemontsince1961

      An automatic which was driven by an “incompetent” person that had inhaled: 1) too much auto exhaust while sitting in traffic and 2) dry cleaning solution from the clothes just picked up from the cleaners.

      • drax

        3) too much tobacco?

      • FrenchyB

        and 3) listening to loud music that damaged his/her hearing.

    • Smoke_Jaguar4

      That’s either a Buick or a Cadillac, most definitely an automatic. Does anyone know NovaSteve’s whereabouts during this incident?

      • Rick

        Unless novasteve is a middle aged, african american woman acting like a white republican online, this was not novasteve.I drove by after the fire was out and she did not look very happy. I hope she’s back on the road soon.

  • MrCar

    Many times this is due to something like a plastic bag sticking to the catalytic converter or muffler. Poor car 🙁

  • Road Dog

    Must be the new HOT place to hang-out in Clarendon.

  • Dezlboy

    Flip flops

  • sue

    I’d laugh—except my kids’ preschool is at the same corner. WTF? Are the 3-year olds doing it?

  • BlueFlipFlops

    It’s a GM product. I’m surprised it took this long for it to have a catastrophic mechanical failure.

×

Subscribe to our mailing list