This year, St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Saturday. That means there will probably be more people than usual heading out for some Irish cheer at the local watering holes. Here’s a list of a few places around town that have special celebrations planned.
Arlington County police will have an increased presence in Clarendon and other areas expected to have a large number of people celebrating the holiday. They’ll also be distributing information about SoberRide, which is offering free cab rides home from 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 17, until 6:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 18.
- Capitol City Brewing Company (4001 Campbell Ave) — The brew pub will tap two one-of-a kind cask brews: Irish Red Ale and Irish Dry Stout. A traditional Irish food buffet will be offered from 5:00-9:00 p.m.
- Ireland’s Four Courts (2051 Wilson Blvd) — Doors open at 7:30 a.m. for those interested in starting early. Five different bands play all day starting at 11:00 a.m. Extra bars and a heated tent will also be set up for the celebration.
- O’Sullivan’s Irish Pub (3207 Washington Blvd) — Live Irish music throughout the day. The Boyle School of Irish Dance will perform at 5:30 p.m.
- P. Brennan’s Irish Pub (2910 Columbia Pike) — The green beer starts flowing at 9:00 a.m. The festivities include a performance from the Boyle School of Irish Dance at 3:00 p.m., followed by live music throughout the evening. Bagpipers are also expected.
- RiRa Irish Pub (2915 Wilson Blvd) — Irish breakfast buffet starts at 8:00 a.m. Irish dancers will perform, and the first of three bands will start at 11:00 a.m. The party will benefit the locally based children’s charity The Reading Connection.
- Samuel Beckett’s Irish Gastro Pub (2800 S. Randolph St) — Opens at 8:00 a.m. for watching rugby tournament matches, with the big Ireland-England game showing at 1:00 p.m. Music starts at 3:00 p.m. There will be a prize for the best Irish costume.
- Sine Irish Pub (1301 S. Joyce St) — Discounted beer throughout the day and a buffet from 5:00-10:00 p.m.
- Union Jack’s (671 N. Glebe Rd) — Specials throughout the day, with a free Irish breakfast buffet offered from 8:00-10:00 a.m. DJ starts at 5:00 p.m. Patrons can participate in the Sexy Leprechaun Contest.
- Whitlow’s on Wilson (2854 Wilson Blvd) — Doors open at 9:00 a.m. for breakfast, and Irish fare will be served starting at 11:00 a.m. Live Celtic music runs from 1:00-6:00 p.m. and a cover band begins at 8:00 p.m.
If you’re looking for something a little more family friendly, here are a few ideas.
- Washington-Lee High School (1301 N. Stafford St) — Arlingtonians for a Green Environment is hosting the annual Green Living Expo from 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. The free event features green living seminars, a raffle, exhibitors, cooking demonstrations and children’s activities.
- Rosslyn Spectrum Theatre (1611 N. Kent St) — The Arlingtones Barbershop Chorus presents “Spring Tonic 2012” at 2:00 p.m. Ticket information can be found online.