Submit Content

Ask Adam: Property Encroachment

Ask Adam Header

This regularly-scheduled sponsored Q&A column is written by Adam Gallegos of Arlington-based real estate firm Arbour Realty, voted one of Arlington Magazine’s Best Realtors of 2013. Please submit follow-up questions in the comments section or via email.

Question: According to our property survey it seems that part of our neighbor’s gravel driveway is on our plot of land. How have your clients dealt with this scenario? What would you recommend?

I have had similar issues come up when a neighbor’s fence encroaches on someone else’s property. In some cases they have asked that the fence be moved. In other cases they have resolved the situation through a method similar to what is described below. The nice thing about a gravel driveway is that it can be a little easier to move than a fence.

Though easy to resolve, it’s an unfortunate circumstance because most people moving into a neighborhood would prefer to avoid confrontation with their new neighbors. It’s possible that the neighbor is not even aware that they are encroaching on your property.

I recommend finding a friendly yet effective way to address the situation to avoid the possibility of adverse possession. According to A Broker’s Guide to Virginia Real Estate Law, adverse possession is the acquisition of title to real estate by means of adversely occupying the property. To establish title to real property by adverse possession, a claimant must prove actual, hostile, exclusive, visible and continuous possession under a claim of right, for the statutory period of fifteen years. Based on my interpretation of this statement, if the neighbor continues to encroach your property for fifteen or more years, they could have a legal claim to the the portion of property they are encroaching.

Sara Rodriguez, the settlement attorney at Ekko Title in Arlington, recommends one of two paths.

The first is to quite simply rectify the situation by moving the gravel driveway back onto the neighbor’s property and off of yours. The other option is to send the neighbor a certified letter acknowledging this encroachment and consenting to it on a temporary basis. By giving permission to use the land you take away their ability to stake a claim to the property by adverse possession.

For further assistance, I recommend contacting an attorney.

The views and opinions expressed in the column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of

Recent Stories

The Arlington Environmental Collection and Recycling Event (E-CARE) is back this weekend, providing residents the chance to get rid of unwanted paint, pesticides, and printer ink lying around the house….

Morning Notes

No GOP Endorsement — “They thought about it. They talked about it. But in the end, for a variety of reasons, members of the Arlington County Republican Committee opted against…

Tour Country Club Hills to discover its lush herbage, mature trees, and the Victorian and frame houses of the area in Neighborhood Spotlight.

A soggy weekend is on tap after an otherwise pretty nice final week of September. Obviously this week’s big story was the devastation in Florida, the huge scale of which…

Looking for a more convenient way to work out?

On the Go Fitness Pro offers in home personal training. We bring the gym to you, so you can save time and skip the hassle of going to the gym. Plus, our trainers are certified and experienced, so you can be sure you’re getting the best possible workout.

We provide all the equipment needed for a great workout or we can use the equipment that you have.

Schedule a free consultation today and see how we can help you achieve your fitness goals.

Read More

Submit your own Community Post here.

(This Community Post was written by 9th Street Chamber Music and underwritten by Embracing Arlington Arts .)

9th Street Chamber Music is back in business for its second season! 9SCM is disrupting the stereotypes of classical music as stuffy, dry, and elite through dynamic yet accessible performances and its one-of-a-kind String Quartet Intensive for young musicians in the DC Metro area.

[9th Street Quartet]( quartet)’s first concert is on Sunday, October 16 at 4:00 PM. The group will offer, for the first time, a ‘Playlist Shuffle’ themed concert featuring single movements of string quartet favorites. Tickets for this concert can be found here, and are $20 for adults and FREE for all students under 18.

Rehearsals began Monday, September 27 for the String Quartet Intensive, welcoming 32 new and returning members to the program. These talented musicians in grades 7 through 12 represent over fifteen area schools throughout Northern Virginia, DC and Maryland, and are an integral part of the growing 9SCM community. Their first performance will take place on Monday, November 28 at 7:30 PM.

Read More

Submit your own Community Post here.

Mini Photo Sessions for Family & Pets

Mini Family & Pet Photo Sessions
Beat the rush and sign up to get your holiday photos now!

Bring your kids! Bring your dogs!

Check out the DeSilva Studios website. Look at the images and see if you like them

Vini Franchetti Wine Dinner

Join us as we explore Vini Franchetti & their two sister vineyards Passopisciaro (Sicily) and Vini Franchetti (Tuscany) for our Sicily/Tuscany Wine Dinner!

Sunday, Oct 9 @ 6pm

Special Guest: This wine dinner we will be hosting the wine maker


Subscribe to our mailing list