Arlington and the surrounding area is now under a Flash Flood Warning.
The Flash Flood Warning means that sudden, localized flooding is imminent due to the heavy rains overnight. If you encounter a flooded roadway while driving, you’re strongly encouraged to “turn around, don’t drown.”
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR… THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA… SOUTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND… CITY OF FAIRFAX IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA… CITY OF FALLS CHURCH IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA… ARLINGTON COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA… CITY OF ALEXANDRIA IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA… EASTERN FAIRFAX COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA…
* UNTIL 1015 AM EDT
* AT 709 AM EDT… NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED VERY HEAVY RAIN HAD FALLEN CAPABLE OF PRODUCING FLASH FLOODING. RADAR ESTIMATES THAT UP TO 3 INCHES OF RAIN HAVE ALREADY FALLEN ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE WARNED AREA. STREAMS ARE RISING EXTREMELY RAPIDLY.
* SOME LOCATIONS THAT ARE AFFECTED BY THE HEAVY RAIN INCLUDE ALEXANDRIA… ANNANDALE… ARLINGTON… BALLSTON… BELLE HAVEN… BURKE… FRANCONIA… HYBLA VALLEY… LAKE BARCROFT… LINCOLNIA… MCLEAN… MERRIFIELD… OAKTON… REAGAN NATIONAL AIRPORT… ROSSLYN… SPRINGFIELD… THE I395 AND I495 INTERCHANGE… THE I66 AND I495 INTERCHANGE… TYSONS CORNER… VIENNA… WOLF TRAP… ASPEN HILL… BETHESDA… CHEVY CHASE… COLESVILLE… FAIRLAND… HILLANDALE… POTOMAC… ROCKVILLE… TAKOMA PARK… THE AMERICAN LEGION BRIDGE… THE WOODROW WILSON BRIDGE… WHITE OAK… ADAMS MORGAN… AMERICAN UNIVERSITY… GEORGETOWN… DOWNTOWN WASHINGTON… US CAPITOL… CRYSTAL CITY… FORT TOTTEN… GALLAUDET UNIVERSITY… GROVETON… HOWARD UNIVERSITY… HUNTINGTON… MANTUA… NATIONALS PARK AND PIMMIT HILLS.
EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLASH FLOODING OF SMALL CREEKS AND STREAMS… URBAN AREAS… HIGHWAYS… STREETS… UNDERPASSES AND OTHER DRAINAGE AREAS AND LOW LYING SPOTS.
MOST FLASH FLOOD DEATHS OCCUR IN AUTOMOBILES. NEVER DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO AREAS WHERE WATER COVERS THE ROAD. FLOODWATER USUALLY IS DEEPER THAN IT APPEARS. JUST ONE FOOT OF FLOWING WATER IS POWERFUL ENOUGH TO SWEEP VEHICLES OFF THE ROAD. MAKE THE SMART CHOICE WHEN FLOODED ROADS ARE ENCOUNTERED… TURN AROUND… DONT DROWN.
A soggy weekend is on tap after an otherwise pretty nice final week of September. Obviously this week’s big story was the devastation in Florida, the huge scale of which…
Share your input on the Arlington Forestry and Natural Resources Plan by October 3.
A proposed bridge for bicyclists and pedestrians between Crystal City and the Southwest Waterfront area of D.C. has received $20 million in federal funding to move forward. When complete, the…
A 3 BD/2 BA condo with views of the Washington Monument and a freshly painted 4 BD/2 BA home is included in Home Hunt Highlights.
Now you can have fun with your family and friends when deciding where to eat!
Just hop aboard The Lunch Train and set the destination for: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or nightlife!
– No app necessary. Simply go to the website if you’d like!
– No account necessary
– Use your current location or a desired location
– Add restaurants you’re interested in, invite your friends, and play the game!
Lyon Park & Ashton Heights’ biennial home & garden biennial tour is back. The tour will include contemporary custom homes, older historic bungalows as well as renovated properties. One of the stunning homes on the tour is pictured above. In addition to beautiful & unique homes, the Villa & Vistas ’22 event will conclude with a festive reception at the Lyon Park Community Center at 414 N Fillmore Street, Arlington VA 22201. What could be better right?
All proceeds from this event will go to the Lyon Park Citizens Association (LPCA) towards our neighborhood jewel & hub, the Lyon Park Community Center (LPCC).
When: Sunday, October 2nd, Noon – 4 PM.
Where: Meet to get your tickets and the tour map at the Lyon Park Community Center (414 N Fillmore Street) We will have a table with information outside.
Join us as we explore Vini Franchetti & their two sister vineyards Passopisciaro (Sicily) and Vini Franchetti (Tuscany) for our Sicily/Tuscany Wine Dinner!
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 6pm
Special Guest: This wine dinner we will be hosting the wine maker