The Arlington Commission for the Arts recommended approval for $215,810 worth of grants that are to be allocated among 17 organizations and three individual artists. These grants, specified in a County Board agenda item, are a part of county funding set aside for Arlington’s support of the arts in the county’s Fiscal Year 2016.
The total amount of the grants is $16,710 more than was allocated to the arts in fiscal year 2015.
The following organizations are the recommended recipients for the proposed cultural grants, in descending order by amount:
- Synetic Theater — $32,529.00
- Arlington Arts Center — $31,927.00
- Bowen McCauley Dance — $23,962.00
- BalletNova Center for Dance — $18,162.00
- Washington Shakespeare Company — $14,194.00
- Encore Stage and Studio — $13,571.00
- No Rules Theatre Company — $12,980.00
- Teatro de la Luna — $11,284.00
- UrbanArias, Inc. — $9,638.00
- EducationalTheatre Company — $5,802.00
- Arlington Artists’ Alliance — $5,316.00
- The Arlington Players — $5,152.00
- Washington Balalaika Society — $5,012.00
- National Chamber Ensemble — $3,799.00
- Jane Franklin Dance — $3,061.00
- Indian Dance Educators Association — $2,546.00
- Dominion Stage — $1,875.00
Three individual artists, Kate Fleming, Melanie Kehoss and Sushmita Mazumbar have been recommended by the Commission to each receive $5,000 “Spotlight Grants.”
Additionally, 26 organizations have been recommended to receive non-monetary support in the form of space and services:
ACW Dances, The Metropolitan Chorus, Alma Boliviana, Old Dominion Cloggers, Arlington Philharmonic Association, Opera NOVA, The Arlingtones, Peter’s Alley Theatre Productions, Bangladesh Center for Community Development Inc., Potomac Harmony Chorus, Cambodian American Heritage, Inc., Prio Bangla, Inc., Centro Cultural Peru, Inc., The ProBolivan Committee, Dance Asia, Requiebros Spanish Dance Group, El Tayrona, Shristee Nrittyangon, Inc., Festival Argentino, Signature Theatre, Inc., First Draft, Sultanas Troupe, Hālau O’Aulani, Tinkus Tiataco USA, Los Quetzales Mexican Dance Ensemble, Vietnamese Cultural Society of Metropolitan Washington.
Local Republicans nominated Arlington resident Karina Lipsman on Saturday to seek the U.S. House seat currently held by Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.). Early voting is underway for the primary to…
An Arlington man is facing charges after allegedly shoving and threatening a county parking aide. The incident happened Thursday afternoon along S. Lowell Street in the Green Valley neighborhood. “At…
Fill your days with adventure as District Fray Magazine compiles a list of 26 things to do this summer.
Sponsored by Monday Properties and written by ARLnow, Startup Monday is a weekly column that profiles Arlington-based startups, founders, and other local technology news. Monday Properties is proudly featuring 1515 Wilson Blvd in Rosslyn. Two companies that help…