This regularly-scheduled sponsored Q&A column is written by Will Wiard, Arlington-based real estate broker, voted one of Washington’s Best Realtors of 2015 by Washingtonian. Please submit your questions via email.
Q: My wife and I recently discovered a home that we love, but are concerned about the state of disrepair because it is being sold as-is. What do you suggest for ball-parking repairs before finalizing our offer?
A: Regardless of the type of home you are buying–new construction, remodeled or as-is–there are typically minor repairs, at minimum, that will be flagged by a home inspector. When buying an “as-is” home, regardless of the condition, the buyer is not entitled to a home inspection or to any fixes or credits from the seller.
There are several reasons a seller would list the home in this category, but the most common is the need for repairs to the property that can be costly.
If you’re interested in buying a home as-is, or even a fixer-upper, it’s a good idea to get an estimate for the costs of the repairs before making an offer. Here’s what I recommend.
- Find a contractor. Before you start your home search, look into hiring a contractor or homebuilder. Talking to three or four professionals will help you get a better understanding of the average costs associated with certain projects before you begin the house hunt.
- Bring him/her to a showing. Once you’ve found a home you like, ask a contractor to join you at a showing. If they can’t be there, take photos and notes so you can provide the contractor or builder with additional details on needed updates.
- Check for a sound structure. The roof and the foundation are two primary structural elements to pay close attention to, as fixing them can be costly. However, identifying if both are in sound condition can be difficult if the property is being sold as is. Keep an eye out for cracks in the foundation both inside and outside of the home, and look and smell for any signs of water leaking into the home. Water damage on the ceiling, damp walls and floors and the smell of mold could be a bad sign.
- Budget for unknown repairs. As anyone who has made home renovations can attest, additional repairs are often uncovered once the updates begin. Make sure to add some room in your budget for these unknowns.
- Select your finishes. Are you trying to save on costs by selecting generic or sale finishes? Or are you looking for the perfect aesthetic regardless of the price? Swing by your local hardware store to get a better idea of the tile, flooring, wall covering and other finishes available. Your price range for these updates could vary greatly based on what you select.
I’m hoping some readers can share any additional advice they have in comments section below.
Thank you for this week’s question. Please keep them coming to [email protected]. This is also a great place to reach me for anyone looking to buy or sell a home in the Arlington area.
The views and opinions expressed in the column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of ARLnow.com.
Good Monday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 13054 times… so far. 📈 Top stories The following are the most-read articles for today —…
Arlington County police are looking for a pair of suspects in a serious assault yesterday evening. The incident happened Sunday just before 6 p.m., at the intersection of N. Glebe…
Mpanadas on Columbia Pike finally appears to be opening. The small “South American-inspired cafe” at 2602 Columbia Pike is planning a soft opening for Thursday, June 15 and a grand…
Meet Aliena, a feisty white rabbit who is the newest Adoptable Pet of the Week! This sweetheart is up for adoption at the Animal Welfare League of Arlington and her…
🌿 𝐄𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐝 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐂𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐑𝐞𝐣𝐮𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐁𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐥 🌿Local business is the heart of a strong community, and at Emerald Massage Center, we’re proud to be a vital part of that heartbeat. Our passionate team of Licensed Massage Therapists is dedicated to providing you with a sanctuary of relaxation, rejuvenation, and renewal.🌟 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐖𝐞 𝐎𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫 🌟Our wide range of massage services includes Swedish, deep tissue, prenatal, sports massage, hot stone, aromatherapy, and more — all tailored to your individual needs. Whether you’re seeking relief from stress, muscle tension, or chronic pain, our skilled therapists will help you achieve total wellness.🏆 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐢𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 🏆Your satisfaction is our top priority, and we’re committed to providing a clean, comfortable, and serene environment for you to unwind. We use only the highest-quality natural products to ensure a luxurious experience that nourishes your body and mind.💚 𝐒𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐋𝐨𝐜𝐚𝐥 𝐁𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 💚By choosing Emerald Massage Center, you’re not only investing in your well-being but also strengthening our community. We appreciate your support and are grateful for the opportunity to serve you.Book your appointment today and discover the transformative power of Emerald Massage Center. Together, we can create a healthier, happier, and more connected community. 💆🏻♀️💆🏽🍃✨ Visit www.EmeraldMassageCenter.com to schedule your rejuvenating session now! ✨
Join MoCA Arlington Summer Camps at Marymount University and learn the fundamentals of handbuilding, throwing on a wheel, glazing, and much more. In this two-week course, students will explore hand building techniques, wheel throwing, and strengthen ideas that exemplify individual artist expression guided by professional working artists. Students of all skill levels are welcome!
Visit MoCA Arlington’s Website here and the registration page to secure your space today!
Homebuying 101: Steps to Getting Pre-Approved
Are you ready to jump into homeownership or started considering it but don’t know where to start? Financial preparation is key when thinking about purchasing your first home and the first step to getting pre-approved.
Join ACFCU’s mortgage loan officers
4th of July Celebration & Fireworks
Treat yourself this Independence Day with a world-class, private 4th of July extravaganza at the Military Women’s Memorial – a premier National Capital Region site.
Great food, fun, and the best views of Washington DC’s spectacular fireworks display. Relax, enjoy,