Editor’s Note: Healthy Paws is a column sponsored and written by the owners of Clarendon Animal Care, a full-service, general practice veterinary clinic. The clinic is located 3000 10th Street N., Suite B. and can be reached at 703-997-9776.
(Updated at 5 p.m.) Here are some fun pet trivia questions for a lovely Thursday afternoon….
What were the most common male and female dog names in 2015?
- Tucker and Bailey
How do cats land on their feet when they fall?
- The vestibular, or balance, system of cats tells them which was is up/down and helps them right themselves as they fall. They also have a very flexible spine, which can help to absorb shock.
What’s the most common reason for dogs to visit the veterinarian?
- Ear infections/allergies
What’s the most common reason for cats to visit the veterinarian?
- Lower urinary tract symptoms (i.e. inappropriate urination)
How many teeth do adult dogs have?
- 42 (28 as puppies)
How many teeth do adult cats have?
- 30 (26 as kittens)
What sex are all calico cats?
According to the AKC, what are the 10 most popular dog breeds in the US?
- Labrador Retriever, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Bulldogs, Beagles, Yorkshire Terriers, Poodles, Boxers, French Bulldogs, Rottweilers (in descending order)
Why don’t cats and dogs sweat?
- Cats and dogs can actually sweat, but only through non-haired areas of their body – mainly the paws. Dogs cool primarily via panting, and while cats typically prefer to not exert themselves to that point, though they can pant if the temperature is high enough.
Which dog breed yodels instead of barks?
What is the oldest dog breed?
- Afghan Hound (followed by Tibetan Terrier, Basenjis, and Shih Tzus)
What is the tallest breed of dog?
- Irish Wolfhound
What is the smallest breed of dog?
- Though up for debate, the consistently smallest AKC-recognized breed is the Chihuahua
What is the heaviest dog breed?
- Mastiff or Saint Bernard
What is the oldest cat on record? and currently alive?
- Creme Puff – 38 years and 3 days (August 3, 1967 – August 6, 2005)
- Corduroy – almost 27 years old (August 1, 1989 to present)!
How many whiskers does a cat have?
- 24 (approximately) – 12 per side
- The domestic cat is the only feline species able to hold its tail vertically while walking.
- Cats can purr at the same frequency as an idling diesel engine, which is 26 cycles per second.
- The purr of a cat is also at a frequency that can promote tissue healing!
- Bloodhounds, known for their amazing sense of smell, have approximately 230 million olfactory cells within their nasal passages, 40 times the number that humans have.
Please join us on Sunday, June 12 from 3-6 p.m. at the James Hunter Dog Park (a.k.a. Clarendon Dog Park) as we kick-off our “Friends of the Dog Park” sponsorship with Clarendon Alliance. Caroline Ferrante and the Whole Magilla will be providing the music; Smoking Kow BBQ will be providing the food. There will be exhibitors on-hand to answer your pet-related questions. Plus plenty of room for your pooch to play.
Do you have the cutest dog? Enter the Clarendon Dogs Photo Contest and vote for your favorites!
Tour Country Club Hills to discover its lush herbage, mature trees, and the Victorian and frame houses of the area in Neighborhood Spotlight.
A soggy weekend is on tap after an otherwise pretty nice final week of September. Obviously this week’s big story was the devastation in Florida, the huge scale of which…
Share your input on the Arlington Forestry and Natural Resources Plan by October 3.
A proposed bridge for bicyclists and pedestrians between Crystal City and the Southwest Waterfront area of D.C. has received $20 million in federal funding to move forward. When complete, the…
9th Street Chamber Music is back in business for its second season! 9SCM is disrupting the stereotypes of classical music as stuffy, dry, and elite through dynamic yet accessible performances and its one-of-a-kind String Quartet Intensive for young musicians in the DC Metro area.[9th Street Quartet](https://www.9thstreetchambermusic.com/9th-street- quartet)’s first concert is on Sunday, October 16 at 4:00 PM. The group will offer, for the first time, a ‘Playlist Shuffle’ themed concert featuring single movements of string quartet favorites. Tickets for this concert can be found here, and are $20 for adults and FREE for all students under 18.
Rehearsals began Monday, September 27 for the String Quartet Intensive, welcoming 32 new and returning members to the program. These talented musicians in grades 7 through 12 represent over fifteen area schools throughout Northern Virginia, DC and Maryland, and are an integral part of the growing 9SCM community. Their first performance will take place on Monday, November 28 at 7:30 PM.
Now you can have fun with your family and friends when deciding where to eat!
Just hop aboard The Lunch Train and set the destination for: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or nightlife!
– No app necessary. Simply go to the website if you’d like!
– No account necessary
– Use your current location or a desired location
– Add restaurants you’re interested in, invite your friends, and play the game!
Join us as we explore Vini Franchetti & their two sister vineyards Passopisciaro (Sicily) and Vini Franchetti (Tuscany) for our Sicily/Tuscany Wine Dinner!
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 6pm
Special Guest: This wine dinner we will be hosting the wine maker