Editor’s Note: Healthy Paws is a column sponsored and written by the owners of Clarendon Animal Care, a full-service, general practice veterinary clinic. The clinic is located 3000 10th Street N., Suite B. and can be reached at 703-997-9776.
(Updated at 5 p.m.) Here are some fun pet trivia questions for a lovely Thursday afternoon….
What were the most common male and female dog names in 2015?
- Tucker and Bailey
How do cats land on their feet when they fall?
- The vestibular, or balance, system of cats tells them which was is up/down and helps them right themselves as they fall. They also have a very flexible spine, which can help to absorb shock.
What’s the most common reason for dogs to visit the veterinarian?
- Ear infections/allergies
What’s the most common reason for cats to visit the veterinarian?
- Lower urinary tract symptoms (i.e. inappropriate urination)
How many teeth do adult dogs have?
- 42 (28 as puppies)
How many teeth do adult cats have?
- 30 (26 as kittens)
What sex are all calico cats?
According to the AKC, what are the 10 most popular dog breeds in the US?
- Labrador Retriever, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Bulldogs, Beagles, Yorkshire Terriers, Poodles, Boxers, French Bulldogs, Rottweilers (in descending order)
Why don’t cats and dogs sweat?
- Cats and dogs can actually sweat, but only through non-haired areas of their body – mainly the paws. Dogs cool primarily via panting, and while cats typically prefer to not exert themselves to that point, though they can pant if the temperature is high enough.
Which dog breed yodels instead of barks?
What is the oldest dog breed?
- Afghan Hound (followed by Tibetan Terrier, Basenjis, and Shih Tzus)
What is the tallest breed of dog?
- Irish Wolfhound
What is the smallest breed of dog?
- Though up for debate, the consistently smallest AKC-recognized breed is the Chihuahua
What is the heaviest dog breed?
- Mastiff or Saint Bernard
What is the oldest cat on record? and currently alive?
- Creme Puff – 38 years and 3 days (August 3, 1967 – August 6, 2005)
- Corduroy – almost 27 years old (August 1, 1989 to present)!
How many whiskers does a cat have?
- 24 (approximately) – 12 per side
- The domestic cat is the only feline species able to hold its tail vertically while walking.
- Cats can purr at the same frequency as an idling diesel engine, which is 26 cycles per second.
- The purr of a cat is also at a frequency that can promote tissue healing!
- Bloodhounds, known for their amazing sense of smell, have approximately 230 million olfactory cells within their nasal passages, 40 times the number that humans have.
Please join us on Sunday, June 12 from 3-6 p.m. at the James Hunter Dog Park (a.k.a. Clarendon Dog Park) as we kick-off our “Friends of the Dog Park” sponsorship with Clarendon Alliance. Caroline Ferrante and the Whole Magilla will be providing the music; Smoking Kow BBQ will be providing the food. There will be exhibitors on-hand to answer your pet-related questions. Plus plenty of room for your pooch to play.
Do you have the cutest dog? Enter the Clarendon Dogs Photo Contest and vote for your favorites!