This biweekly sponsored column is written by the experts at Gordon James Realty, a local property management firm that specializes in residential real estate, commercial real estate and homeowner associations. Please submit any questions in the comments section or via email.
Storage space in the D.C. market is very important. Think about it: you may have heard that D.C.’s population is increasing by approximately 1,000 per month. That’s a true popular statistic. So, where are these people putting all their stuff?
It’s no secret that D.C. has less space than other places that people may be moving from. We will go into the needs of warehousing, and how to increase storage availability across your properties.
One of the worst places to run out of storage space is your bathroom. It’s easy to underestimate bathroom storage needs. I mean, how much room could a few bottles, toilet paper rolls and some towels take up?
Here are a few clever ideas to expand your bathroom space:
- Don’t underestimate corners: Check out those tiny nooks and crannies. There can be a lot of potential in these spaces. Try installing a ledge or shelf above the toilet or tuck a little stool under the sink to reach shelves that you can install a little higher to save space
- Create ledges: A window ledge is the perfect place to stock your supplies and it also has that cool DIY vibe to it
- Get organized with a vanity tray: The amount of clutter in your bathroom could be due to poor use of space. If you have products and junk everywhere, a vanity tray can help to rein them in
Ladies – is your makeup taking over? Use dollar store bins to divide your drawers into smaller sections for a designated type of makeup. This keeps everything organized and it’s inexpensive. It is also satisfying to see all your makeup displayed so neatly.
Use command hooks to hang bins on the inside of your cabinet doors. An organizer that fits over the door and hangs down is another simple solution. Think outside the box and try a spice rack – pull-out style to be exact. It’s the perfect size to hold all your tubes, creams, containers and bottles.
Here are a couple more ideas for carving out storage space in your rentals:
- Buy extra jars for the kitchen for spatulas, knives, herbs, spices and anything else you can name
- Attach shower curtain rings to hangers in your closet and use them to hang things like scarves, necklaces and belts. This way, you are hanging a bunch of stuff on just one hanger
- Get furniture that is multi-purpose. For example, an ottoman that opens up and also acts as a storage cube
- Use ice cube trays to organize earrings, rings and other small jewelry.
- The space under your bed can be great for storage. Buy under-the-bed boxes to store sheets, shoes, towels, books, and more.
- If you have the wall space, mount your TV on the wall. You’ll free up floor space for more storage. You can then put a shelf or cabinet under the TV for game, movie, blanket, etc. storage.
- Cover cardboard boxes in burlap or pretty wrapping paper for stylish storage bins that you can leave out in the open.
Sometimes, landlords provide separate storage units within the building, but if not, many people turn to storage units and warehousing. Here are some tips for packing away seasonal items safely and retrieving them easily when the time comes.
Now that we have covered storage in the rentals, let’s talk warehousing. Living in a rental has many advantages, but storage is usually not one of them.
Why is warehousing in such high demand? Well, because they are so multi-functional. Go to some hip borough in New York City or some cool neighborhood in San Francisco and you’ll find tons of old warehouses turned restaurant, bar or shop. Warehouses also come in handy when it comes to avoiding issues with inventory management and operations.
Just remember, PHTEOL: Pack, Hang, Take inventory, Elevate, Organize, Label. These are great tips to share with people living in your properties.
Good Friday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 14436 times… so far. 📈 Top stories The following are the most-read articles for today —…
When Hamid Habib Zada and Negin Khwalpak fled Afghanistan with their daughter Maram two years ago in hopes of escaping the Taliban, all they brought to America was a backpack full of diapers.
Interested in Italian wine? Join the Arrowine team this Sunday, June 11 to learn and taste wines from Italy’s most prestigious regions.
When the pandemic hit, Arlington resident Matt White, like many others, could not get a haircut. He noticed his hair grew quickly and, rather than cut it, he decided to…
Camps are just the beginning of what’s in store at Art House 7 this summer. We’re thrilled to offer an array of exciting classes for both kids and adults!Rediscover your creativity with some of our AH7 favorites, such as drawing, hand-sewing, modern embroidery, and our popular 3-week Jump into Crochet classes. But that’s not all! We’ve added some fresh and exciting options to our summer class selection, guaranteed to spark your imagination.
To enhance your artistic journey, we have intensified some of our Ceramics: The Wheel classes to a full 3-hour duration. This extended time allows for more creativity and skill development in each class session. If you’re eager for a captivating twist, give Contemporary Still-Life Drawing & Painting a go. Or why not try an immersive outdoor painting adventure? We have a unique opportunity for you to bring your painting skills to life while learning and creating in the great outdoors with our Landscape Painting: Studio and Plein Air class!
We invite you to visit our website and explore our full Summer Session schedule, brimming with a diverse range of classes and camps. Classes and camps begin June 20th. Unleash your inner artist, broaden your horizons, and embark on a summer adventure like no other. Let’s make this a summer to remember at Art House 7!
🌿 𝐄𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐝 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐂𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐑𝐞𝐣𝐮𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐁𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐥 🌿 Local business is the heart of a strong community, and at Emerald Massage Center, we’re proud to be a vital part of that heartbeat. Our passionate team of Licensed Massage Therapists is dedicated to providing you with a sanctuary of relaxation, rejuvenation, and renewal.
🌟 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐖𝐞 𝐎𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫 🌟
Our wide range of massage services includes Swedish, deep tissue, prenatal, sports massage, hot stone, aromatherapy, and more — all tailored to your individual needs. Whether you’re seeking relief from stress, muscle tension, or chronic pain, our skilled therapists will help you achieve total wellness.
🏆 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐢𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 🏆
Homebuying 102: Contract Closing and Beyond
You’ve found the perfect house and you’re under contract, now what? Navigating the closing process can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be.
Join ACFCU’s mortgage loan officers on June 21 at 5:30pm for part two in our first-time
Our archery classes start with the Explore Archery program. This is a six week course, with 60 minute classes for new archers ages 8 to 12.
Our indoor archery program is fun, rewarding and developmentally progressive. These classes are focused