Sunday is the 33rd annual Army Ten-Miler race, part of which takes place in Arlington.
The race begins at 7:50 a.m. on Route 110, and the course takes runners into the District before returning to Arlington in the I-395 HOV lanes. The race ends in the Pentagon north parking lot.
The following road closures will be in effect in Arlington:
- Route 110 between Rosslyn and Crystal City will be closed in both directions at 5:00 a.m. (Use the George Washington Memorial Parkway as an alternative)
- I-395 HOV northbound from Crystal City to the 14th Street Bridge will be closed at 6:00 a.m.
- Eads Street from Army Navy Drive into the Pentagon/northbound I-395 HOV lanes will be closed at 5:00 a.m.
- I-395 southbound HOV exit to S. Eads Street / Pentagon south parking lot will be closed at 5:00 a.m.
- Route 27 in both directions from George Washington Memorial Parkway to I-395 will be closed at 7:00 a.m.
- Army Navy Drive from S. Eads Street to S. 12th Street at 8:00 a.m.
- 12th Street from S. Eads Street to Long Bridge Drive at 8:00 a.m.
- Long Bridge Drive will be closed from S. 12th Street to Boundary Channel Drive at 8:00 a.m.
All roads should reopen by 2 p.m.
The Pentagon north parking lot will be restricted to “Authorized Vehicles Only” from 4:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Pentagon employees and visitors to the Pentagon Memorial can park in the south parking lot, which is accessible by Columbia Pike and S. Fern Street.
Runners and spectators are encouraged to use Metro, which will open two hours early, at 6 a.m., for the event. Metro offers the following tips for traveling to and from the race on Sunday:
- While the closest Metrorail station to the start of the race is Pentagon Station on the Blue and Yellow lines, to avoid crowds, riders are encouraged to consider using Pentagon City instead.
- Pentagon Station will be available for “exit only” from 6 a.m. until 8 a.m.
- In the event of crowded conditions at Pentagon Station, trains may temporarily bypass the station. (In the event of crowding, some customers may be directed to use Pentagon City instead.)
- Please take note of service changes on the Red Line.
- Additional Blue Line trains will run between Franconia-Springfield and Stadium-Armory from 6 a.m. until 8:40 a.m., and from 11:15 a.m. to 12:50 p.m.
- Metro recommends purchasing a SmarTrip card in advance loaded with enough value for the entire day to avoid long lines and speed your trip. SmarTrip cards can be purchased at fare vending machines located at station entrances.
All Metrobus service that usually runs to and from the Pentagon will be diverted to Pentagon City until about 2 p.m.