`(Updated at 8:40 a.m.) Very spotty frozen precipitation fell overnight in Arlington, leading to some slick spots but no serious issues.
Concerns about an icy commute, however, led Arlington Public Schools to delay the start of school.
More from APS:
All APS schools and offices will open two hours late today. The Extended Day program will also open two hours late and morning field trips are canceled. Essential employees and food service workers should report to work at their regularly scheduled time. All other employees should report to work two hours past their usual start time.
— Arlington DES (@ArlingtonDES) February 7, 2018
The school system’s decision, in turn, prompted Arlington’s Dept. of Parks and Recreation to also delay or cancel some of its programs.
Due to an Arlington Public School two-hour delayed opening, DPR will proceed as follows:
- All congregate meal programs are cancelled.
- All Early Childhood Programs (Preschool and Co-ops) are cancelled.
- All Enjoy Arlington classes, 55+ classes, trips, nature center programs and sports league activities scheduled to start prior to 11:59 a.m. are cancelled in all buildings.
- All Enjoy Arlington classes, 55+ classes, trips, nature center programs and sports league activities with scheduled start times of NOON or later will proceed as scheduled.
- All evening Enjoy Arlington classes, sports league activities and nature center programs will proceed as scheduled.
- All Community Centers (including the five joint use centers at Langston, TJ, Gunston, Carver and Drew will open on time as schedule.
- APS Pools are open on time.
Arlington County government is expected to open on time.
Other delays and closures of note around the region this morning:
- Federal government: Two hour delay
- Fairfax County Public Schools: Closed
- Loudoun County Public Schools: Closed
- Prince William County Schools: Closed
- Falls Church City Public Schools: Two Hour Delay
- Alexandria City Public Schools: Open on time
- Montgomery County (Md.) Public Schools: Closed
- D.C. Public Schools: Open on time
Tour the small tight-knit community of Dover Crystal in the latest Neighborhood Spotlight.
Learn more about the certificate and graduate programs at the Schar School during the Virtual Open House June 8.
Happy Memorial Day weekend, Arlington. We hope you’re able to get some rest and reflection in after this long week. Once we push past some rain this evening, it’s looking…
The Armed Forces Cycling Classic, a series of races around Clarendon and Crystal City, is set to take place the first weekend of June. The Cycling Classic will be held…