A wintry precipitation mix is expected to hit the region this evening (March 6) and continue into tomorrow morning, which Virginia Department of Transportation officials say could impact the morning commute.
Crews are treating the roads and are preparing for any necessary snow removal, though a tweet from the Capital Weather Gang notes that it is unlikely that much will stick. It’s more likely that there will be a buildup of slush.
VDOT has the following tips for the anticipated precipitation:
- Stay closely tuned to weather forecasts (see National Weather Service) overnight and through the day tomorrow.
- Consider teleworking or adjusting trips around the forecast. If roads are slick, delay trips for safety.
- Bridges, ramps, overpasses and lower-volume roads may become slick quickly with low pavement temperatures.
- Ensure gas and wiper fluid tanks are full, and have a good emergency kit. Here’s how: www.ready.gov/car.
- Be aware that low temperatures will mean continued potential for refreeze and slick road conditions.
Snow late tonight & Wed AM around DC likely to occur w/ temps above 32, so will be hard for a lot to stick. But if/when snow falls heavily, could cause slush to build-up. Wed AM commute could be affected w/ reduced visibility & some slick spots. More info: https://t.co/u55YqiQA8N pic.twitter.com/b9ftxEcLJM
— Capital Weather Gang (@capitalweather) March 6, 2018
Here is an update to our forecasted low-end snowfall amounts (left) and our forecasted high-end snowfall amounts (right) pic.twitter.com/l6rQsh3pP4
— NWS DC/Baltimore (@NWS_BaltWash) March 6, 2018
It’s that time again! ❄️ Be like our crews—plan now for winter weather to possibly affect your Wed AM commute. pic.twitter.com/nDwGGya38B
— VDOT Northern VA (@VaDOTNOVA) March 6, 2018
Major Metro Delays — “Following an investigation into the derailment of a Blue Line train, the Washington Metrorail Safety Commission has ordered Metro to put roughly 60% of its rail…
Discover how to save energy and receive a free energy conservation kit in the latest Rethink Energy.
It was a busy news week in Arlington, and next week — with County Board meetings on tap today and Tuesday — should stay busy. For those who have been…
Tucked away in an Arlington County storage facility is a shattered Tiffany Studios stained glass window of Jesus Christ in the act of blessing those who gaze on him. For…