Going into the Labor Day weekend, Arlingtonians should be aware of several closings coming up on Monday and one big opening the day after: back to school day.
As local students head back to the opening day for schools on Tuesday (Sept. 4), the Arlington Police Department has put out a reminder for motorists to slow down, avoid distractions, and watch for the influx of students walking and biking to school.
Arlington Police also reminded drivers that passing a stopped school bus loading or unloading can result in a $250 fine. Vehicles on both sides of the road must stop on all roads except for divided highways, where drivers are urged to proceed with caution.
Pedestrians are reminded to only cross streets at crosswalks with permitting signals, to walk along sidewalks or paths rather than on the side of the road, and to follow the directions of crossing guards.
For cyclists, helmets are required for anyone 14 or under, but are recommended for everyone. When riding through Arlington, cyclists should keep to the right on the roads and ride in the direction of traffic.
Parents with students starting school should make sure their child knows their home phone number and address. Parents or guardians should roleplay possible situations a child might encounter and discuss personal safety tips with their child.
Before school opens back up, several government facilities will be closed on Monday for Labor Day.
DMV Select & Virginia DMV
Parks & Recreation Facilities & Programs
- Admin Offices – Closed
- Classes/Leagues – Closed
- Parks – Grounds Open
- Centers – Closed
- Spraygrounds – All spraygrounds will be open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Metered areas not enforced
- ART — ART 41, 45, 51, 55 and 87 will operate on Sunday schedules. All other ART routes will not operate.
- STAR – See the STAR holiday schedule.
- Metrorail – System will open at 8 a.m. and close at 11 p.m.
- Metrobus – Operating on a Sunday schedule
- MetroAccess – all subscription trips cancelled on Monday.
Trash Pickup & Recycling
- Trash & Recycling – Regular schedule
- Special Collection (Brush, Metal, E-waste) & Cart Services – Regular schedule
- Mulch Delivery – No service
- Leaf & Brush collection – Regular schedule
HHM Facility and ECRC
A driver in an SUV struck a juvenile riding a bike along Langston Blvd this afternoon. The crash happened around 4:20 p.m., in or near the crosswalk at the intersection…
Today’s Listing of the Day is a 4 BD/4 BA home with an open kitchen and wood burning fireplace.
The weekend has arrived and, apparently, so have mid-summer temperatures. Perhaps a little too early. Forecasters warn residents not to let the heat take them by surprise as temperatures could reach…
The $15 million newly renovated Jennie Dean Park is reopening to the public this weekend, complete with a motorcycle parade, live music, and a celebration of local baseball history. The…