(Updated at 7:30 p.m.) Arlington and Fairfax firefighters responded tonight (Wednesday) to a fire at a mid-rise apartment building along Columbia Pike.
The fire broke out around 4:30 p.m. at The Shell apartments at 870 S. Greenbrier Street.
A small fire was reported in an apartment on the fourth floor and was controlled by sprinklers, according to the Arlington County Fire Department. While the fire itself did not cause much damage, water from the sprinklers has caused flooding in a number of apartments.
The Full Circle Montessori pre-school in the building also reportedly has some water damage, though the extent of the damage is thus far unclear.
Fire commanders have requested that the Red Cross respond to the scene to assist at least more than a dozen residents who will be displaced — right before the Thanksgiving holiday.
— Arlington Fire (@ArlingtonVaFD) November 22, 2018
The Shell was built and is managed by nonprofit affordable housing developer AHC Inc. It was completed in 2015.
Photo (2) via Google Maps
Even as officials and advocates continue to hail the Crystal City-Potomac Yard Transitway as forward-thinking, there’ve been literal instances of backwards driving. ARLnow has received reports of cars entering the…
A Connecticut man has been jailed after police say he stole items from two cars and then tried to run from officers. The arrest happened early Monday morning in the…
Carbeque on I-395 — A car was engulfed in flames on I-395 near Shirlington Circle last night. Southbound and HOV lanes were blocked as firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze….
A 2 BD/1 BA home in Shirlington with track lighting, hardwood floors and fireplace is included in today’s Just Reduced.