This regularly-scheduled sponsored Q&A column is written by Eli Tucker, Arlington-based Realtor and Rosslyn resident. Please submit your questions to him via email for response in future columns. Enjoy!
Question: Do you have any details in the new condos being built in Courthouse at 2000 Clarendon?
Answer: The Arlington market has been delivering about one new condo building per year over the last 8 years and will continue that trend with the introduction of 87 luxury condos at 2000 Clarendon, in the Courthouse neighborhood. Currently a hole in the ground, limited access pre-sales will start this week, with a projected delivery of spring 2020.
Broad Range of Size and Style
38 total 1 BR/1 BA units range in size from 627 sq. ft. to 739 sq. ft., priced from the upper $400s to mid $500s. The next jump is to a 1 BR +Den with 1.5 BA at 830 sq. ft., with 12 units starting in the upper $500s.
The most popular units, and fastest to sell, will likely be the 2 BR/2 BA options, of which there are 31, ranging in price and size from the upper $600s to low $800s and 973 sq. ft. to 1,076 sq. ft., respectively.
There are two 2 BR/2.5 BA floorplans, just six total units, with 1,362 sq. ft. and 1,739 sq. ft. Based on the floor plans I’ve seen, the dens are legitimate/legal 3rd bedrooms. These units are being offered from $1.1M to over $1.4M and are located only on the top three floors (Sky Suites).
All units include one garage parking space. Additional parking and private storage are available for purchase.
Given current market conditions, I think the 2 BR/2 BA units are the best value at these prices. However, I expect all floor plans to be in high demand. Over the last three years, there has been an average of 28 two-bedroom condos and 23 one-bedroom condos for sale in April in the 22201 zip code.
As of April 1 2019, there are only 11 two-bedrooms condos and 7 one-bedroom condos for sale in the 22201 zip code.
Below are some highlights of the unit designs and options:
- Concrete construction between all units (very quiet and rare for newer buildings)
- Owners can customize their units from a selection of wide plank hardwood flooring, quartz countertops and cabinetry
- Chefs will be pleased to hear the building will have gas cooking
- Hardwood throughout the living areas and bedrooms is standard (no carpet anywhere)
- Most units have floor-to-ceiling windows, all have windows heights of 7′ or more
- About 70% of the units have a private balcony or terrace
- Floors 1-11 will have 10′ ceilings (9′ is standard in most condos so you’ll notice a difference)
- Floors 12-14 are Sky Suites and have 12′ ceilings with an upgraded appliance package
- Floors 1, 3, 6 and 9 are “loft style” with exposed ductwork, piping and columns which
provides for additional ceiling height
Luxury Amenities, Modest Fees
I’ve been pretty disappointed in the bland exterior design of some recent condo and apartment buildings along the R-B Corridor, but kudos to the builder, The Bush Companies, for spending on improved architectural design and materials to make this building look sleek and modern.
While condo fees are not finalized, the projected fees are quite reasonable compared to the rest of the market. 1 BRs top out at $350/mon and the 2 BRs at $500/mon.
This is well below the average for one-and two-bedroom condos in Arlington. Owners will have access to amenities including:
- Two-level cascading pool & sun deck
- Rooftop terrace with Monument, Georgetown and city skyline views
- Rooftop club room including kitchen and entertainment space
- First floor fitness center with outdoor terrace
Who Is Building 2000 Clarendon?
The Bush Companies is the developer/builder of 2000 Clarendon. The firm has developed and built seven condo and apartment buildings with over 2,100 total units in Arlington including well-known communities Station Square (Clarendon), Lexington Square (Virginia Square), The Park at Courthouse (Courthouse) and Windsor Plaza (Ballston).
In the District, the firm developed 2020 Lofts in the U Street Corridor and many other projects dating back as far as the early 50’s. Currently, in addition to 2000 Clarendon, the firm is nearing completion of The Lexicon in the
NoMa neighborhood of Washington D.C.
If you’re interested in learning more about 2000 Clarendon including access to floorplans, finishes and pricing or would like to reserve a unit during the limited access pre-sale period please email me at [email protected].
If you’d like a question answered in my weekly column, please send an email to [email protected]. To read any of my older posts, visit the blog section of my website at www.EliResidential.com. Call me directly at (703) 539-2529.
Eli Tucker is a licensed Realtor in Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland with Real Living At Home, 2420 Wilson Blvd #101 Arlington, VA 22201, (202) 518-8781.