Local News Now, the publisher of four local news publications in Northern Virginia including ARLnow.com, is seeking our first Digital Editor to help take our local journalism and audience engagement to the next level.
We’re looking for a Digital Editor who will help our editorial team break stories and reach readers while maintaining a high bar for quality. A typical week on the job will include copy editing, story planning, and audience engagement work.
The successful candidate will be joining a growing team of journalists at our office, three blocks from the Ballston Metro station.
Job responsibilities include:
- Copy editing about 15-20 articles per day prior to online publication
- Providing coaching and assistance to reporters covering enterprise stories
- Monitoring multiple news sources, including email inboxes, Facebook messages, Twitter feeds and scanner radios, in order to help our team break stories and coordinate breaking news coverage
- Helping to cover for reporter vacations and sick days
- Running our main Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts to help promote stories and engage with readers
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 5-10 years of relevant local news experience
- Strong copy editing skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Experience working in a fast-paced, occasionally high-stress environment
- A passion for training and coaching early-career journalists, helping them to achieve their full potential
- Ability to multitask and monitor multiple news sources, including Twitter, email and scanner radios
- Experience running branded social media accounts and an innate ability to understand and connect with an audience via social channels
Compensation for the position is competitive and based on experience. Provided benefits include health, dental and vision insurance.
Local News Now is bootstrapped, profitable and proudly independent. We are an equal opportunity employer that believes in objective reporting, holding local leaders accountable and the important role that local journalism plays in our democracy.
To apply, email a resume and links to writing samples to [email protected]
Join the Keri Shull Team May 24 to learn about creating a custom-built home while avoiding costly mistakes.
Update at 4:15 p.m. — A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has now been issued for most of Arlington. BULLETIN – IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED Severe Thunderstorm Warning National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington…
Arlington County Board member Libby Garvey is quarantining in Germany after testing positive for COVID-19 while on a trip. Garvey told ARLnow she’s doing relatively well, and feels mostly like…
A woman was seriously injured over the weekend after police say she was apparently pushed out of a moving vehicle. It happened early Sunday morning along Wilson Blvd at the…