(Updated at 11:00 a.m.) The Armed Forces Cycling Classic is returning to Arlington this weekend, prompting several road closures.
Teams will compete in a series of races sponsored by the the Boeing Company on Saturday, June 1, to win the “Crystal Cup.” The teams will then return on Sunday, June 2, for a chance to win the “Clarendon Cup.” This series marks the 22nd year for the annual event.
This Saturday, the race will open with an all ages “Challenge Ride” from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. at 2100 Crystal Drive along a 10 kilometer track. Afterwards, the event will shift gear to line up the day’s professional and amateur races.
ACPD said police will close several streets in Crystal City and Rosslyn from 4:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, including:
- Crystal Drive, from S. 15th Street through S. 23rd Street
- Wilson Boulevard, from N. Kent Street to the Route 110 ramp
- Route 110, from Rosslyn to Crystal City
- S. Clark Street, from S. 20th Street to S. 23rd Street
- S. 20th Street, from Crystal Drive to S. Clark Street
- S. 18th Street, from Crystal Drive to S. Bell Street
- S. 23rd Street from Crystal Drive to S. Clark Street
- Crystal Drive (West side), from S. 23rd St to the Central Center Parking Garage
- S. 12th Street and Long Bridge Drive
Competitors will roll into the Clarendon Cup Cycling Classic on Sunday. Professional teams will race 100-laps around a 1 kilometer area. Police said they plan to close the following roads from 4:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. to accommodate the event:
- Wilson Blvd, from N. Fillmore Street to Washington Blvd
- Clarendon Blvd, from Washington Blvd to N. Fillmore Street
- Washington Blvd, from Wilson Blvd to N. Highland Street
- North Highland Street, from Wilson Blvd to Washington Blvd
- North Garfield Street / N. Fillmore Street, from Wilson Blvd to Washington Blvd
Organizers recommend attendees park at the Crystal City underground at 1600 Crystal Drive but warn them to remove bicycle roof racks from vehicles before driving down into the parking garage.
The county said in a press release that parking near both races is limited, and is encouraging attendees to use Metro or ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft. Metro-goers can access the Armed Forces Cycling Classic from the Crystal City Metro station, and the Clarendon Cup race via the Clarendon Metro station. Both stations are open during Metro’s summer shutdown south of Reagan National Airport.
For both events, police are warning drivers to keep on the lookout for additional road closures and “no parking” signs in around the events.
Flickr pool photos by Michael Coffman
Happy Friday, Arlington. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving! Today might have been a light publishing day for us, but rest assured: we’re not hearing of much news happening locally,…
The National Weather Service has issued a Special Weather Statement about the strong winds that are currently gusting in Arlington and across the region. Forecasters are cautioning that the gusts…
A 3 BD/1 BA home on one level, and new roof, stove and refrigerator is included in the latest Open Houses.
As people begin to travel for the holidays, this week’s Statutes of Liberty discusses new COVID-19 requirements for travel.