This column is written and sponsored by Arlington Arts/Arlington Cultural Affairs, a division of Arlington Economic Development.
Arlington Arts takes pride in providing support and services for the many Arlington-based artists and ensembles that enrich our community.
However, responding to the COVID-19 pandemic requires that we take measures for the safety of our community and staff. As such, Arlington Arts has closed all of our County-run arts facilities to the public until April 6. Productions and rehearsals in joint use theatre’s (such as Gunston Arts Center Theatre’s One and Two, and Thomas Jefferson Community Theatre) are cancelled through Monday, April 13.
Here is a list of facility closures and cancellations among Arlington Arts grantees that are known at the time of publication:
THEATRE ON THE RUN / 3700
- Halau O’Aluani — weekly Sunday rehearsals from through April 4
- Jane Franklin Dance — Saturday rehearsals through April 4
— Monday rehearsals through March 30
- Community Engagement — March 25 (to be rescheduled for Fall, 2020)
- The Writer’s Center — All March Workshops cancelled (their workshops are now on-line)
- Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts — All March & April workshops cancelled. The 6 workshop series will be rescheduled for Fall 2020
- The Writer’s Passage — May 2-3 workshops are cancelled
GUNSTON ARTS CENTER — THEATRE ONE
- National Chamber Ensemble (NCE) — “Remarkable Four Seasons of Vivaldi” concert March 21
GUNSTON ARTS CENTER — THEATRE TWO
Avant Bard Theatre — Ada and the Engine and Suddenly Last Summer (all performances)
- LEE ARTS CENTER — the studios and gallery are closed thru April 6
- SIGNATURE THEATRE — canceling ALL performances and public events thru March 30
- FESTIVAL ARGENTINO — Thomas Jefferson Community Theatre
— Originally scheduled for May 16, it has been postponed until Fall, 2020 (date TBA)
In addition, Arlington Arts offers a range of services in support of presentations by Arlington-based arts organizations. For the safety of both the Artists and Staff, the following services and activities are suspended through April 6:
Arlington Arts will be here for the community as things return to normal. Meanwhile, we urge you to be safe.
The County has a new COVID-19 Related Cancellations page, where we are listing all Cultural Affairs cancellations.
Tour the small tight-knit community of Dover Crystal in the latest Neighborhood Spotlight.
Learn more about the certificate and graduate programs at the Schar School during the Virtual Open House June 8.
Happy Memorial Day weekend, Arlington. We hope you’re able to get some rest and reflection in after this long week. Once we push past some rain this evening, it’s looking…
The Armed Forces Cycling Classic, a series of races around Clarendon and Crystal City, is set to take place the first weekend of June. The Cycling Classic will be held…