Arlington has been removing some parking spaces to facilitate the expansion of outdoor dining in two local neighborhoods.
The County Board approved a process for restaurants to apply for expanded, temporary outdoor dining areas in late May. Since then, county crews have blocked off street parking spots in six places to allow pedestrians to better get around the sidewalk cafes.
According to Arlington’s Dept. of Environmental Services, the repurposed parking spaces are located in the Shirlington and Clarendon areas, including:
- Washington Boulevard between Wilson Blvd and 13th St N, about 2 parking spaces
- Wilson Blvd between N Cleveland St and N Danville St, about 4 parking spaces
- Wilson Blvd between N Hudson St and N Irving St, about 6 parking spaces
- S Campbell St between S Arlington Mill Dr and S Quincy St, all on-street parking spaces
- West side of S Randolph St immediately south of S Campbell St, a few spaces (exact number not available at this time)
- West side of S Quincy St immediately south of S Campbell St (exact number not available at this time)
Crews were seen blocking off the Shirlington parkings areas Monday morning.
DES spokesman Peter Golkin said additional parking spaces may be repurposed as restaurants apply for Temporary Outdoor Seating Areas (TOSAs), though no additional, specific locations are currently planned.
“We are creating pedestrian space around outdoor seating as restaurants apply for outdoor seating,” Golkin said.
Jay Westcott contributed to this report
This week’s Just Reduced includes a 4 BD/4.5 BA extensively renovated single family home.
The Arlington branch of the NAACP has come out in support of the county’s Missing Middle Housing Study draft framework.
Primary and urgent veterinary care clinic Bond Vet and dog daycare and boarding facility District Dogs are set to open locations in Clarendon in June. Both businesses are coming to…
A particularly sharp bend in the GW Parkway near Key Bridge has claimed another vehicular victim An SUV overturned in the southbound lanes around 1:15 p.m., blocking all lanes and…