(Updated at 4:25 p.m.) Two women were rescued by firefighters this afternoon in dramatic fashion, after a gas leak was discovered in their home along Columbia Pike.
The rescues happened shortly before 3:30 p.m., after police were called to the house at the intersection of the Pike and S. Rolfe Street for a welfare check.
“Officers were conducting a check on the welfare. When they made entry to the residence they smelled gas, and called for the fire department,” said Arlington County Police Department spokeswoman Ashley Savage. “Two adult females have been transported to local hospitals.”
Initial reports suggest that firefighters searching the house found the victims inside suffering from possible carbon monoxide poisoning. They were pulled outside and treated before being rushed to the hospital.
Eastbound Columbia Pike was blocked near the intersection with S. Rolfe Street during the incident. The Pike has since reopened, though S. Rolfe Street remains closed.
The house has been ventilated and police are now investigating the incident. Washington Gas crews are also on scene, investigating the leak.
So far there’s no word yet on the condition of the two victims.
A neighbor tells ARLnow that “two lovely [older] ladies” live in the home.
“God, I hope they are okay,” said the neighbor, who did not provide her name.
#Alert Units are on scene of a gas leak inside a residence in the 1800blk of Columbia Pike. Two patients were found and transported to a hospital. Columbia Pike remains partially blocked. Media staging at the scene can contact @ArlingtonVaPD for more information. pic.twitter.com/RfVFQygHeh
— Arlington Fire (@ArlingtonVaFD) January 5, 2021
INCIDENT: Fire Department Activity
LOCATION: EB Columbia Pike/S Rolfe
IMPACT: All lanes of EB Columbia Pike shut down at S Rolfe. Seek alternate routes. pic.twitter.com/NmwhqQwunh
— Arlington Alert (@ArlingtonAlert) January 5, 2021
Matt Blitz contributed to this report. Map via Google Maps.
Funeral Procession for Marine — From the Arlington County Police Department: “A funeral procession for Cpl. Spencer Collart, who tragically died in a training exercise, will travel through Arlington tomorrow….
Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
A local nonprofit specializing in job placement for disabled individuals is drawing on federal funding to expand its services.
This column is written by the team at Arrowine & Cheese (4508 Cherry Hill Road). Sign up for the email newsletter and receive exclusive discounts and offers. Order from Arrowine’s expanding online store for curbside pickup…
Sometimes mold is easy to spot, but you don’t know how deep inside your walls it has spread. It can grow in sinks, cabinets, and other places you frequent every day. If you find mold, the question remains: Do I call a professional? Thistle Environmental, LLC believes in quality, comprehensive testing.
CALL NOW: (703) 929-4036
WOW 1 DAY PAINTING brings people a fast, affordable, and high-quality solution for all of their interior or exterior residential and commercial painting projects. We respect your time as much as you do and provide the quality paint job you expect, in a timeline that is unexpected.
Schedule a consult today:
T. (202) 845-7899
Come celebrate National Coming Out Day at Equality Arlington’s Coming Out Party on Wednesday, October 11th from 7-8:30 PM at Busboys and Poets (Shirlington)! Senator Adam Ebbin is our featured speaker and we will have Arlingtonians sharing what coming out