(Updated at 4:25 p.m.) Two women were rescued by firefighters this afternoon in dramatic fashion, after a gas leak was discovered in their home along Columbia Pike.
The rescues happened shortly before 3:30 p.m., after police were called to the house at the intersection of the Pike and S. Rolfe Street for a welfare check.
“Officers were conducting a check on the welfare. When they made entry to the residence they smelled gas, and called for the fire department,” said Arlington County Police Department spokeswoman Ashley Savage. “Two adult females have been transported to local hospitals.”
Initial reports suggest that firefighters searching the house found the victims inside suffering from possible carbon monoxide poisoning. They were pulled outside and treated before being rushed to the hospital.
Eastbound Columbia Pike was blocked near the intersection with S. Rolfe Street during the incident. The Pike has since reopened, though S. Rolfe Street remains closed.
The house has been ventilated and police are now investigating the incident. Washington Gas crews are also on scene, investigating the leak.
So far there’s no word yet on the condition of the two victims.
A neighbor tells ARLnow that “two lovely [older] ladies” live in the home.
“God, I hope they are okay,” said the neighbor, who did not provide her name.
#Alert Units are on scene of a gas leak inside a residence in the 1800blk of Columbia Pike. Two patients were found and transported to a hospital. Columbia Pike remains partially blocked. Media staging at the scene can contact @ArlingtonVaPD for more information. pic.twitter.com/RfVFQygHeh
— Arlington Fire (@ArlingtonVaFD) January 5, 2021
INCIDENT: Fire Department Activity
LOCATION: EB Columbia Pike/S Rolfe
IMPACT: All lanes of EB Columbia Pike shut down at S Rolfe. Seek alternate routes. pic.twitter.com/NmwhqQwunh
— Arlington Alert (@ArlingtonAlert) January 5, 2021
Matt Blitz contributed to this report. Map via Google Maps.