(Updated at 5 p.m.) Arlington County is under a Winter Weather Advisory for Saturday into Sunday.
The National Weather Service says wintry precipitation starting Saturday morning may lead to slippery roads, with ice accumulation up to a fifth of an inch or so.
An earlier Winter Storm Watch was downgraded to an advisory Friday afternoon.
More from NWS:
310 PM EST Fri Feb 12 2021
…WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SATURDAY TO 7 AM EST SUNDAY…
* WHAT…Freezing rain, mixed with sleet at times. Storm total ice accumulations of one tenth to two tenths of an inch.
* WHERE…The District of Columbia, and portions of central and southern Maryland and central, northern and northwest Virginia.
* WHEN…From 10 AM Saturday to 7 AM EST Sunday.
* IMPACTS…Prepare for difficult travel conditions.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Even a small amount of ice on untreated surfaces can make travel treacherous.
Slow down and use caution while traveling. Prepare for possible power outages.
When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury.
Winter Weather Advisories, Winter Storm Warnings and Ice Storm Warnings have been issued for Saturday and Saturday night. See graphics for details. pic.twitter.com/XpGLeXVhWP
— NWS Baltimore-Washington (@NWS_BaltWash) February 12, 2021
In a sign of what may be to come, Metro is planning to operate on a moderate snow service plan to start the day on Saturday.
It does not take much ice buildup on roadways to create very dangerous conditions. On Thursday morning, an icy highway in Fort Worth, Texas caused a massive pileup that killed six people and involved more than 100 vehicles.
Dangerous icing possible in the DC area Saturday, w/ threat highest along and east of I95. In parts of the region, could be worst ice event in more than a decade. Do not mess with ice…best to stay in if/when icy precip is falling. Detailed briefing: https://t.co/NLfzmgIUWy
— Capital Weather Gang (@capitalweather) February 12, 2021