Join Club

Boring Title: Do I need insurance for my house flip project?

Title insurance is boring, but Allied Title & Escrow is here to decode the jargon and make it (somewhat) more interesting. This biweekly feature will explore the mundane (but very necessary!) world of title insurance while sharing interesting stories of two friends’ entrepreneurial careers.

Question: Do I need insurance for my house flip project?

Answer: If you don’t want the hassle of buying a home and renting it out to others, then buying a fixer-upper and selling it for more is the next best thing. While the process sounds rather simple, there is something really important that should never be overlooked — and that is the need for home insurance for flipping houses.

Since no one is living in your investment property, you may feel that you really don’t need insurance. However, that is not true at all. Believe it or not, there are so many things that can go wrong during remodeling projects while the house sits vacant for months at a time — such as falls, fires, vandalism, theft of pipes/fixtures and more. Traditional insurance providers and homeowner’s policies view house flipping as ‘high risk’ and are not designed to protect vacant properties or properties that are needing rehab.

Flipping houses requires a special type of insurance coverage that a typical Home Owner’s Insurance policy does not provide. The insurance policies discussed below will protect your property and personal assets and provide peace of mind.

Dwelling Policy

A Dwelling Policy is designed for vacant buildings and protects against any direct, physical damage to the property. This is a common type of insurance used for flipping houses. It isn’t always easy to see the issues that may arise during even the simplest renovations.

Although a dwelling policy is a way to remain protected, it should be noted that this policy will not cover any materials or equipment used in the renovation.

Builder’s Risk Policy

A Builder’s Risk policy is also designed to protect vacant property and it is necessary if your renovation includes tampering with the structure. This policy, again, covers the direct physical damage to the property while it is in the construction process.

Unlike dwelling policies, a builder’s risk policy does cover the renovation materials. This is often purchased as a rider in addition to the dwelling policy.

General Liability Policy

As you can tell, dwelling policies and builder’s risk policies focus on the damage to the property itself, and potentially the materials. But what about bodily injury? It is not uncommon for injuries to occur during a renovation. Should you get hurt, your general liability policy would be in place to protect you, but it does not protect your contractors or people you have working at the property.

What it does do, though, is protect you in case you are sued due to an injury at the property. Any medical expenses or legal fees that arise due to a slip and fall, for example, will be handled by this insurance company.

Have questions related to title insurance? Email [email protected]. Want to use Allied Title & Escrow when you buy a home? Tell your agent when you buy a house to write in Allied Title & Escrow as your settlement company! 

Recent Stories

Good Thursday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 6850 times… so far. 📈 Top stories The following are the most-read articles for today —…

This past week saw 32 homes sold in Arlington. The least expensive condo, single-family home or townhouse sale over the past seven days was $205,000 while the most expensive was…

Tree canopy in Arlington County is lower than it was in 2016, according to a new privately-funded study paid for local residents.

Time is running out for your chance to win a National Landing prize package worth $500! Entries for ARLnow’s inaugural Big Night Out giveaway close tomorrow (Friday) at noon. The…

Is home ownership a goal of yours in 2023? Now is the time to make it happen! Grab a (virtual) drink with the area’s top Real Estate experts, learn all about the home buying process and on how you can get $1,500 towards your closing costs immediately!

Did you know the average Arlington renter will spend $150K in 5 years of renting? Stop paying down someone else’s mortgage! Join us for a Rent vs. Buy Happy Hour on Wednesday, April 5th at 6 p.m. via Zoom. If this time doesn’t work, we also are offering times convenient for your schedule!

A lot has happened in the local market since the beginning of the pandemic. Sip on your drink of choice and learn from Northern Virginia, Arlington and Washingtonian Magazines top producing agents! We will discuss the latest market updates, the home buying process and rent vs. buy cost savings. Please RSVP by clicking here.

Call/text Manavi at 703-869-6698 with any questions!

Submit your own Announcement here.

Synetic Theater Camps are a wildly fun, highly accessible choice for young people who love moving, playing games, and making memories. Registration is open now for Summer Camps (sessions June 20-August 25) and there are even a few spots left for Spring Break camp, April 3­-7.

Located in National Landing, these performance-based camps are designed for students of all ages – no theater or performance experience required.

Led by professional teaching artists, campers learn acting, movement, and technical theater skills through the lens of Physical Theater. Physical Theater incorporates acting, movement, dance, mime, and acrobatics. If you’ve seen a Cirque du Soleil performance, you’ll find many similarities.

Most first-time campers are new to the performing arts, and teaching artists are well-versed in engaging students at all levels. Parents and campers report that one of the best parts of Synetic is the community, with many families returning year after year because they feel a strong sense of belonging.

Read More

Submit your own Announcement here.

WHS Spring Festival

Join us at the WHS Spring Festival on April 22, 2023, from 10am- 3pm at Wakefield High School(main parking lot). Come out to shop, play, and eat!

Shop local vendors, arts & crafts, new and used items, food vendors/trucks, and

District 27 Toastmasters 2023 Virtual Conference

District 27 Toastmasters invites you to its annual conference where you can hear phenomenal speakers, attend professional development and personal growth seminars about leadership, negotiation, communication, teamwork, and mentorship. Learn how to develop your personal story and how to improve


Subscribe to our mailing list