Good Friday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 6803 times… so far.
📈 Top stories
The following are the most-read articles for today — Feb 10, 2023.
- Arlington is one of the safest localities in America, new study suggests
- Captain Cookie & the Milkman opens today in Courthouse
- Man arrested after early morning break-in at Washington-Liberty High School
- Morning Notes
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Another off-the-beaten-path Arlington eatery gets rave critical review (25928 views)
- APS parents and teachers want transparency. They say School Board members are advised to be ‘vague.’ (11526 views)
- NEW: Police investigate incidents at two Arlington middle schools (8532 views)
- Virginia State Police chase ends in Arlington, results in arrest and multiple felony charges (8040 views)
- Police up patrols around Wakefield HS as classes resume but social media threat rumors circulate (6217 views)
- Arlington sees more than a third of 2022’s carjacking total in first month of 2023 (4829 views)
- After fatal overdose, substance abuse-related dispatches to Arlington schools continue (4346 views)
- APS transitioning to new grading style but many parents are giving it poor marks (4327 views)
- The blown up Little Free Library in Arlington Forest was mysteriously rebuilt last week (4293 views)
- Helicopter called in to search for armed robbery suspects on Columbia Pike (4006 views)
- Planning Commission gives thumbs up to Joyce Motors redevelopment in Clarendon (3493 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 12:00 am: Barcroft Elementary School Online Auction
- 👉 10:00 am: Mini Photo Sessions for Family & Pets
- 11:00 am: Bennie Herron: Origin Stories
- 👉 12:00 pm: First-time Moms Meet & Greet
- 12:00 pm: “Crisis of Image” on view
- 2:00 pm: Block Printing Valentine Workshop with Sarah Matthews
- 7:30 pm: National Chamber Ensemble – Broadway, Spirituals and More
- 7:30 pm: The Comedy Karaoke Trivia Funtime Show with Damo Hicks
- 7:30 pm: Diagnosed
- 8:00 pm: Almost, Maine
And here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 👉 8:00 am: St. Ann Giant Used Book Sale is Back!
- 9:00 am: Barcroft Elementary School Online Auction
- 12:00 pm: Valentine’s Day Card-making Workshop (Ages 5-7)
- 12:00 pm: Valentine’s Day Card-making Workshop (Ages 8-10)
- 2:00 pm: Lover’s Eye Painting Valentine’s Workshop
- 3:00 pm: Almost, Maine
- 5:30 pm: BARCA Pier & Wine Bar Pre-Valentine’s Day Cocktail Class
⛅ Saturday’s forecast
Mostly cloudy throughout the day. High of 51 and low of 38. Sunrise at 7:06 am and sunset at 5:42 pm. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Thought of the Day
“Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.” – Charles R. Swindoll
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Wednesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
After a 2-year search for new digs, Arlington Independent Media is on the cusp of moving from its long-time headquarters in Clarendon.
Former Arlington Commonwealth’s Attorney Theo Stamos is taking a top job in the Virginia Attorney General’s Office. Stamos lost her reelection bid in 2019, defeated in the Democratic primary by…
Sometime next year, three residential streets in Arlington without sidewalks could get upgrades to allow for safer pedestrian and cyclist use. To help address demonstrated safety and access issues on…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to