Shortly after the market opens at 8:00 a.m, county board member Mary Hynes will host a ceremony honoring the founders of the market.
There will also be giveaways, kids’ activities, gardening demonstrations, and appearances by local chefs, who will be sharing cooking tips.
In the wake of several farmers market vendors being shut down by health inspectors two weeks ago, safety-minded county officials will also be distributing flyers to market customers and vendors.
The content of those flyers, after the jump.
ARLINGTON FARMER’S MARKETS: FRESH, LOCAL & SAFE!
- To safeguard public health, Arlington inspects all food establishments, including farmer’s markets, ensuring they comply with the 2005 FDA Food Code.
- Inspections at farmers markets include:
- Temperature control checks for perishable foods such as meats, cheeses and products made with eggs
- Proper packaging or covering checks for ready-to-eat (RTE) foods to prevent bare hand contact and other contamination
- Ingredient lists checks to warn people with food allergies
- Staff performing inspections receive standardized training about the FDA Food Code. Inspections are assigned in a random fashion for quality control.
- County staff work closely with farmer’s market vendors and management to help them get into compliance with the food code. This ensures that customers enjoy safe and wholesome foods and have a great Arlington farmer’s market experience.
HOW TO ENJOY FOOD FROM FARMER’S MARKETS SAFELY
- Wash fruits and vegetables before eating always.
- DON’T buy ready-to-eat foods that have been handled with bare hands. Ready-to-eat foods, such as baked goods, typically are not washed or cooked after purchase.
- Buy perishable foods only from vendors permitted by the health department.
- Perishable foods include meats, cheeses, and products made with eggs that have to be kept at proper temperatures to prevent germ growth.
- Look for a display of ingredients in ready-to-eat foods to avoid allergic reactions.
- For more information, call Evelyn Poppell, Public Health at 703-228-7400.
Pentagon Metro Station Reopening — “Metro will reopen the Pentagon Station and Pentagon Transit Center to customers beginning with the start of bus and rail service Thursday morning. The station…
A 3 BD/4.5 BA condo with two wraparound terraces and city views sold for $3.2 million, making it one of the most expensive homes sold in July.
The new ARLnow Press Club has a number of features we always wanted to bring readers — and now can with your support. One that we haven’t advertised as widely…
A new business offering high-end therapeutic and wellness treatments — including cryotherapy — is opening in Pentagon City. Texas-based Restore Hyper Wellness started offering treatments to help people facing pain,…