It’s going to be very hard to get around certain parts of Arlington on Sunday. The Marine Corps Marathon will shut down streets in Rosslyn, Crystal City and Pentagon City. The Key Bridge and a stretch of Lee Highway will also be closed.
The good news is that Metro will be opening at 5:00 a.m., two hours earlier than usual, to accommodate marathon runners and spectators (the race starts at 8:15 a.m.). Metro will be running additional Blue Line trains for much of the day, but the agency says riders should expect the system to be especially busy.
“Customers can expect crowded conditions, especially after the race as people will have to wait in long lines to get back into the rail stations,” Metro said in a statement.
Also due to the marathon, buses that normally serve the Pentagon Transit Center will be relocated to the Pentagon City station until 4:00 p.m.
The Arlington County Police Department’s full road closure list, after the jump.
From 4 a.m. to 4 p.m.:
- Eastbound Washington Boulevard closed at I-395
From 4 a.m. to 6 p.m.:
- Route 110 completely closed in both directions
- N. Meade Street, from Fairfax Drive to Marshall Drive
- No access to N. Lynn Street or N. Meade Street from Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard)
- N. Lynn Street, from Route 50 to N. 19th Street
- Ft. Myer Drive, from N. 19th Street to Route 50
- N. Moore Street, from N. 19th Street to Wilson Boulevard (except for buses)
From 4 a.m. to 7 p.m.:
- Wilson Boulevard east of N. Nash Street
From 4 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.:
- Westbound Washington Boulevard from Memorial Circle to I-395
From 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.:
- Eastbound Lee Highway, from N. Kirkwood Road to N. Lynn Street
- Westbound Lee Highway, from N. Scott Street to N. Kirkwood Road (Closed to thru traffic. Local traffic will have access by taking N. Scott Street to N. Veitch Street. Citizens leaving the area can use westbound Lee Highway to Spout Run Drive and exit the area via the George Washington Parkway.)
From 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.:
- The Key Bridge, all lanes
From 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.:
- Southbound I-395 HOV from D.C
From 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.:
- S. 12th Street, from S. Eads Street to Crystal Drive (local traffic permitted S. Eads Street to Army Navy Drive)
- Crystal Drive, closed from S.12th Street to S. 23rd Street
- Rotary Road closed throughout South parking
- Columbia Pike closed at S. Joyce Street (access to Pentagon via Boundary Channel)
From 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
- Army Navy Drive, from Fern Street to 12th Street S.
Flickr pool photo by BrianMKA