Our blurb about extended zone parking hours in the Clarendon area has provoked quite a response. In fact, as of this writing it has received 337 comments and counting, an ARLnow.com record.
For those who asked, we now have a list of the Clarendon-area streets that impose zone parking until the early morning hours. Only residents — or anyone they give a temporary pass to — are permitted to park on the side of the street from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. on these blocks.
- N. Fillmore St between Franklin Rd and Key Blvd.
- Franklin Rd. between Edgewood and Filmore Streets
- N. Garfield St. between Wilson Blvd and Franklin Rd.
- N. Highland St. between Hancock St and Key Blvd.
- N. Irving St. between 13th St and Jackson St.
- N. Herndon St. between 13th St N and Key Blvd.
- N. Jackson St. between Washington Blvd and 13th St N
In order to obtain the extended hours, residents of each block had to go through the county’s residential permit parking process. First, at least 60 percent of residents signed a petition requesting zone parking hours be extended. Then, county staff studied whether cars from outside the neighborhood were parking on the block, in order to confirm eligibility for the extended hours.
“County staff then surveyed the block to determine if there was parking overspill from outside the neighborhood,” said county spokeswoman Shannon Whalen McDaniel. “In order to meet the overspill standard, 75 percent of the block’s spaces must be filled with cars and 25 percent of the cars must be from outside the neighborhood.”