The Arlington County Fire Department has issued a list of six simple tips for keeping safe while cooking your Thanksgiving dinner.
Spokesman Lt. Gregg Karl says these tips are in response to calls the department receives on a regular basis around this time of year.
Thanksgiving Cooking Safety Tips
- Be alert when cooking. Do not allow yourself to be distracted or walk away from food on the stove. Stove top fires can spread quickly to cabinets and areas surrounding the stove.
- Turn pot and pan handles inward so children and pets cannot pull these items from the stove.
- Wear clothing that has fitted or short sleeves. Loose fitting sleeves can contact hot surfaces and begin to burn.
- Use caution with open flame cooking devices. Follow manufacturer’s recommendations for use of the device. Check county and state fire codes for safe distances and areas the devices can be used.
- Have a UL (Underwriters Laboratories) listed fire extinguisher and be familiar with the operation of the extinguisher in the event of a fire.
- Be certain all smoke alarms are tested and functioning properly.
The Arlington County Fire Department wishes everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.