A Flash Flood Warning has been issued for Arlington and much of the rest of the D.C. region. The National Weather Service warns that nearly 3 inches of rain has fallen already today and more heavy rainfall is on the way.
Standing water on roadways has created some dangerous driving conditions in Arlington, and swollen local waterways like Four Mile Run are starting to resemble “class three rapids,” but otherwise few serious problems have been reported around the county so far.
It’s a different story elsewhere in the region. In Montgomery County, cars and their drivers are getting trapped in high standing water.
From the National Weather Service:
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
* FLASH FLOOD WARNING…
* UNTIL 415 PM EDT
* AT 117 PM EDT… NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED VERY HEAVY RAIN CAPABLE OF PRODUCING FLASH FLOODING. UP TO THREE INCHES OF RAIN HAS FALLEN IN THE LAST 24 HOURS. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF UP TO 1 INCH CAN BE EXPECTED.
* SOME LOCATIONS THAT ARE AFFECTED BY THE HEAVY RAIN INCLUDE ANNANDALE… ARLINGTON… BALLSTON… BULL RUN… BURKE… CENTREVILLE… CHANTILLY… DALE CITY… GREAT FALLS… HERNDON… LAKE BARCROFT… LAKE RIDGE… LINCOLNIA… MCLEAN… MERRIFIELD… OAKTON… RESTON… ROSSLYN… SPRINGFIELD… THE I395 AND I495 INTERCHANGE… THE I66 AND I495 INTERCHANGE… TYSONS CORNER… VIENNA… WOLF TRAP… BETHESDA… CHEVY CHASE… POTOMAC… TAKOMA PARK… THE AMERICAN LEGION BRIDGE… ADAMS MORGAN… AMERICAN UNIVERSITY… GEORGETOWN… MANTUA AND PIMMIT HILLS.
MOST FLASH FLOOD DEATHS OCCUR IN AUTOMOBILES. NEVER DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO AREAS WHERE WATER COVERS THE ROAD. FLOODWATER USUALLY IS DEEPER THAN IT APPEARS. JUST ONE FOOT OF FLOWING WATER IS POWERFUL ENOUGH TO SWEEP VEHICLES OFF THE ROAD. MAKE THE SMART CHOICE WHEN FLOODED ROADS ARE ENCOUNTERED… TURN AROUND… DONT DROWN.
Photo courtesy @gogogaryo
The week started as summer and is ending, unmistakably, as fall. On the plus side, we have a stretch of crisp, sunny days ahead, with the exception of some rain…
A 5 BD/2 BA home with a light-filled den and screened back porch is included in Open Houses.
Early voting got off to a muted start today (Thursday) at the Arlington County government headquarters in Courthouse. “We had a line of five voters when we opened at 8…
Wakefield High School and Claremont Elementary School were secured today in response to reports of gunfire in nearby Bailey’s Crossroads.
Now you can have fun with your family and friends when deciding where to eat!
Just hop aboard The Lunch Train and set the destination for: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or nightlife!
– No app necessary. Simply go to the website if you’d like!
– No account necessary
– Use your current location or a desired location
– Add restaurants you’re interested in, invite your friends, and play the game!
Lyon Park & Ashton Heights’ biennial home & garden biennial tour is back. The tour will include contemporary custom homes, older historic bungalows as well as renovated properties. One of the stunning homes on the tour is pictured above. In addition to beautiful & unique homes, the Villa & Vistas ’22 event will conclude with a festive reception at the Lyon Park Community Center at 414 N Fillmore Street, Arlington VA 22201. What could be better right?
All proceeds from this event will go to the Lyon Park Citizens Association (LPCA) towards our neighborhood jewel & hub, the Lyon Park Community Center (LPCC).
When: Sunday, October 2nd, Noon – 4 PM.
Where: Meet to get your tickets and the tour map at the Lyon Park Community Center (414 N Fillmore Street) We will have a table with information outside.
Are you ready to jump into homeownership or started considering it but don’t know where to start? Financial preparation is key when thinking about purchasing your first home and the first step to getting pre-approved. Join ACFCU for our Homebuying