We’re less than a week away from ARLnow.com’s fifth anniversary party. If you like ARLnow.com and you like fun, presumably you have already reserved your tickets — if not, check out the trivia question below for a chance to get 20 percent off.
As part of the lead-up to the party (hosted at the Crystal Tech Fund offices, pictured, in Crystal City), we’re taking a trip down memory lane to the year we launched.
That year, 2010, featured lots of memorable local stories, some of them downright weird. Do you remember…
- The severed goat’s head that was found in Barcroft Park
- The Russian spy ring that included three Arlington residents, one of whom unknowingly made a videotaped “dead drop” in Glencarlyn Park
- Snowmageddon, which struck on Feb. 5, and resulted in huge snow piles that didn’t melt until April
- Our first (and last) Arlington’s Cutest Dog contest, which resulted in so many entries we had to break it into four separate voting groups
- The Virginia Square Metro hero, who came to the aid of a man who fell on the tracks (and made national news after ARLnow.com obtained the video from Metro)
- Two words: Bacon Week
- The mysterious, abrupt closing of Washington Golf Center, which prompted an early ARLnow.com “investigation”
Now, for the trivia question: what was the original name of the new-for-2010 rooftop deck at Whitlow’s? (It was renamed “Wilson’s” prior to opening.)
If you know the answer, enter that as a promo code (without spaces) on our Eventbrite page for 20 percent off. You’re welcome!
Our fifth anniversary bash will be held on January 27, from 6-8 p.m. at Crystal Tech Fund (2231 Crystal Drive, 10th floor). The price of admission includes craft beer, wine and heavy appetizers from Ruth’s Chris Steak House.