The department’s 2015 back to school safety campaign includes both enforcement and outreach to drivers, students and parents.
In addition to the traffic enforcement by police and by by the new stop arm cameras on Arlington school buses, ACPD has placed electronic roadside message boards around the county “reminding citizens of the start of school and to drive safely,” according to a press release.
“The Arlington County Police Department is committed to ensuring the safety of all students and motorists,” said Police Chief Jay Farr, in an Arlington Public Schools-produced public service announcement video.
“We would like to remind everyone to be extra careful this year,” Farr continue. “Share the road with buses, pedestrians and bicyclists. Remember, buses are now equipped with stop arm cameras… it’s never okay to pass a school bus with the stop light out.”
ACPD has issued several back-to-school safety tips. For drivers:
- “Obey speed limits which may change during school zone times”
- “Avoid distracted driving and keep your attention on the road”
- “Watch for students walking and riding bikes to school”
- “Don’t pass a stopped school bus loading or unloading passengers”
- “Have all vehicle occupants wear their seatbelts”
The police department’s safety tips for students and pedestrians:
- “Cross the street at marked crosswalks and never against a red light”
- “Look before you cross and follow the direction of school crossing guards”
- “Always walk on designated sidewalks or paths, never along the side of a road”
Introducing your new Neighborhood Spotlight. Follow McEnearney Associates Realtors as they feature neighborhoods in Arlington.
It’s a Friday afternoon and the start of what promises to be a gorgeous, basically perfect early fall weekend.
A recall effort targeting Arlington’s top prosecutor is reportedly gaining some traction. In August, a political group named Virginians for Safe Communities (VSC) launched a recall effort against Parisa Dehghani-Tafti,…
This week Your Beermonger explains the differences between an Oktoberfest, Marzen and a Festbier.