A total of 21 financial grants were distributed, totaling $215,810, with the majority of recipients also being granted the use of county facilities and technical services. Twelve other organizations were granted the use of county facilities and technical services under the so-called Space and Services Grant.
“The arts enrich our lives and enliven our community,” said County Board chair Jay Fisette in a statement. “The Arts Grants program supports a diverse arts community in Arlington.”
There was a rigorous application process to receive the grants, which total $215,810. According to a report by county staff, the Arlington Commission for the Arts Grant Recommendations used a two-step grant application process that also included a mandatory attendance at grant preparation workshops.
Of the 28 grant applications asking for financial support in FY 2018, the Commission received 21 from nonprofit art organizations and seven from individual artists. The county received 54 applications in total.
The commission allocated three different kinds of grants for artists:
- Individual Artist Grants — direct financial support for an individual artist on a proposed work that they describe in their grant application
- Project Grants — direct financial support for a specific project proposed by an organization
- Space & Service Grants — grants for performance/rehearsal space and technical services for an organization.
The biggest organizations to receive grants include Washington Shakespeare Co., UrbanArias and the Arlington Arts Center.
The full list of grant recipients after the jump.
Individual Artist Grants
- Laura Ortiz $5,000
- Tom Dickinson $5,000
- Barbara Januszkiewicz $5,000
Project and Space & Services Grant Awards
- Arlington Artists Alliance $2,023
- Arlington Arts Center $21,923 (no S&S award)
- Arlington Philharmonic Association $15,678
- Arlington Players $6,610
- BalletNova Center for Dance $17,355
- Bowen McCauley Dance $16,382 (no S&S award)
- Company Danzante Contemporary Dance $1,213 (no S&S award)
- Dominion Stage $1,570
- Educational Theatre Company $6,635
- Encore Stage & Studio $23,292
- Festival Argentino $1,353
- Jane Franklin Dance $14,788
- National Chamber Ensemble, Inc. $3,470
- Opera NOVA $1,167
- Synetic Theater $18,473 (no S&S award)
- UrbanArias, Inc. $23,238
- Washington Balalaika Society $3,687 (no S&S award)
- Washington Shakespeare Co./ WSC Avant Bard $21,953
Space and Services Award
- Arlingtones Barbershop Chorus
- Cambodian American Heritage, Inc.
- Dance Asia
- First Draft at the Rose Theatre Co.
- Halau O’Aulani
- Old Dominion Cloggers
- Peters Alley Theatre Productions
- Potomac Harmony Chorus
- Prio Bangla, Inc.
- Requiebros Spanish Dance Group
- Sentimiento Peruano USA Dance School