Title insurance is boring, but Allied Title & Escrow is here to decode the jargon and make it (somewhat) more interesting. This biweekly column will explore the mundane (but very necessary!) world of title insurance while sharing interesting stories of two friends’ entrepreneurial careers.
Introducing BORING TITLE! To us it seems like the right name of our ongoing column because frankly is there anything more boring than title insurance? Does anyone even know what it is?
Our column is written by Latane Meade and Matt Paulson. Owners of Allied Title & Escrow, they started off as childhood friends, both went to JMU and then went different directions after attending college. One went to California, the other stayed in Arlington. One launched a business throwing parties, obstacle races and making Saturday Night Live costumes and the other went to law school and then started his own law firm. Fifteen years later, they’ve now teamed up to run a title company. Makes sense… well not really.
In our ongoing bi-weekly column we are going to try to take on one of life’s biggest challenges: making title insurance interesting.
We hope you check in every other week. The following are some topics we are going to cover in the coming months.
- Why would someone go from running companies in the sports and entertainment industry (eg., adult sports leagues, obstacle racing, 3,000 person parties) to title insurance?
- How is owning a 5K race series different and the same as owning a law firm and a title company?
- Horror stories: What’s the most ridiculous thing that has happened with each business?
- How dressing up as a Saturday Night Live character (Ace and Gary) led to a partnership with Disney and ABC.
- What did two childhood friends see in the industry to make them think there was a big opportunity and a better way to serve agents, builders, lenders and home buyers?
- Why do I need title insurance? We will provide some nightmare scenarios of homeowners who didn’t get title insurance and the hundreds of thousands of dollars they had to come out of pocket as a result.
- The biggest struggles we’ve encountered growing businesses.
- Aren’t all title insurance companies the same? Why does it matter who you choose?
- What are the FAQs that homebuyers should know related to title insurance?
- What is the difference between the standard and enhanced title insurance policy? What are the scenarios where I should get one or the other?
- What are Matt and Lat wearing to Halloween this year?
Have any questions or comments? Email us directly at [email protected].
Oh, and one quick note: don’t risk not getting title insurance for your own home! In the coming weeks we’ll explain why going without it can cost unsuspecting homebuyers hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Today’s Listing of the Day features a 3 BD/3 BA home with over 2,000 square feet of living space and a hands-free kitchen faucet.
The Pike, a large-scale work of public art, is finally being installed this week at the southwest corner of Columbia Pike and S. Jefferson Street, near the county line bordering…
A man armed with a hammer smashed and stole from a jewelry store in the Pentagon City mall Thursday morning. Arlington County police say they were dispatched to the 1100…
The Arlington Firefly Festival is returning to Fort C.F. Smith Park next month. On Sunday, June 19, the festival celebrating insects that light up summer nights is back for the…