Title insurance is boring, but Allied Title & Escrow is here to decode the jargon and make it (somewhat) more interesting. This biweekly column will explore the mundane (but very necessary!) world of title insurance while sharing interesting stories of two friends’ entrepreneurial careers.
Introducing BORING TITLE! To us it seems like the right name of our ongoing column because frankly is there anything more boring than title insurance? Does anyone even know what it is?
Our column is written by Latane Meade and Matt Paulson. Owners of Allied Title & Escrow, they started off as childhood friends, both went to JMU and then went different directions after attending college. One went to California, the other stayed in Arlington. One launched a business throwing parties, obstacle races and making Saturday Night Live costumes and the other went to law school and then started his own law firm. Fifteen years later, they’ve now teamed up to run a title company. Makes sense… well not really.
In our ongoing bi-weekly column we are going to try to take on one of life’s biggest challenges: making title insurance interesting.
We hope you check in every other week. The following are some topics we are going to cover in the coming months.
- Why would someone go from running companies in the sports and entertainment industry (eg., adult sports leagues, obstacle racing, 3,000 person parties) to title insurance?
- How is owning a 5K race series different and the same as owning a law firm and a title company?
- Horror stories: What’s the most ridiculous thing that has happened with each business?
- How dressing up as a Saturday Night Live character (Ace and Gary) led to a partnership with Disney and ABC.
- What did two childhood friends see in the industry to make them think there was a big opportunity and a better way to serve agents, builders, lenders and home buyers?
- Why do I need title insurance? We will provide some nightmare scenarios of homeowners who didn’t get title insurance and the hundreds of thousands of dollars they had to come out of pocket as a result.
- The biggest struggles we’ve encountered growing businesses.
- Aren’t all title insurance companies the same? Why does it matter who you choose?
- What are the FAQs that homebuyers should know related to title insurance?
- What is the difference between the standard and enhanced title insurance policy? What are the scenarios where I should get one or the other?
- What are Matt and Lat wearing to Halloween this year?
Have any questions or comments? Email us directly at [email protected].
Oh, and one quick note: don’t risk not getting title insurance for your own home! In the coming weeks we’ll explain why going without it can cost unsuspecting homebuyers hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Two local chefs have been named semifinalists for a prestigious James Beard award. Rahman “Rock” Harper of Queen Mother’s Fried Chicken on Columbia Pike and Kevin Tien, owner of Hot…
The Ballston and East Falls Church Metro stations are among those set to be impacted by a multi-week closure starting in June.
Fairlington author Amina Luqman-Dawson has received two awards for her novel, “Freewater.” The middle-grade book about a secret community of formerly enslaved people living in the wilderness received both the…
Ask Eli discusses how home market values compare to Arlington County’s tax assessments.
Need help dealing with anxiety, depression or stress?
If you’re struggling to cope with anxiety, depression or stress, our virtual psychotherapy services can help. We offer a confidential and convenient service that’s tailored to your needs.
In our practice, cognitive behavioral therapy (or CBT) is an important tool we use to provide effective relief for those facing anxiety and depression. We believe that cognitive change can be used to improve behaviors and emotions, thus allowing you to achieve mental wellness. By understanding the cognitive distortions that lead to negative thought patterns, we are able to create interventions tailored to each of our clients. This empowering approach can help you gain control of how your own thoughts, beliefs, and behaviors impact your experience. With CBT, our service provides an effective treatment that can bring long-term change and mental stability.
Book a free consultation today and see how we can help you live a happier and healthier life.
St. Charles offers a play-based curriculum in a welcoming, Christ-centered environment.
Our program focuses on socio-emotional development and kindergarten readiness through hands-on and engaging activities. Our programs offer different schedules ranging from 7:30 am-5:30 pm for students, ages 2-5. We feature a full-day Jr. kindergarten class for older 4’s/5’s. Our facility includes a full-sized gymnasium, school chapel, and library. All of our students enjoy music and physical education weekly. Children have an opportunity to participate in enrichment classes such as soccer, basketball, ballet, and science.
We offer Summer Camp with weekly themes and twice a week water play, including Fun Friday moon bounce. Please join us for our Open House Feb. 3 at 9:30 am and 11:00 am. Click here to sign-up.
For more information or to schedule a tour, visit us at www.stcharlesarlington.org or call (703) 527-0608.
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, join us for a series of vignettes that revolve around the theme of love. Taking place in an almost-town called Almost, Maine, we will show you different, but important, facet of love in each