(Updated at 10:20 p.m.) Arlington Public Schools will open on a two hour delay Wednesday, following today’s snowfall.
Officials hope the delay will allow slick spots on roads and sidewalks, from an expected refreeze overnight, to start to melt.
APS announced the delay at 8:45 p.m. Tuesday night, noting that morning field trips will be cancelled.
All APS schools and offices will open two hours late on 1/8. The Extended Day program will also open two hours late and morning field trips are canceled. pic.twitter.com/i3LmtxwbNO
— Arlington Public Schools (@APSVirginia) January 8, 2020
Arlington officials and forecasters are continuing to warn that temperatures will likely dip below freezing overnight, producing black ice and making driving dangerous.
Snow has ended, but hazards have not. Patchy fog and icy spots will remain a risk through early Wednesday morning, mainly in locations where snow fell, so overnight motorists should continue to use caution.
— NWS DC/Baltimore (@NWS_BaltWash) January 8, 2020
Snow crews “will be on standby” to treat any problem spots, Arlington’s Dept. of Environmental Services said.
Update: Crews will be on standby early tomorrow morning to treat any trouble spots. Watch out for slick spots, particularly on ramps, bridges and hills. #ARLwx https://t.co/J0yJcIm7oC pic.twitter.com/qTANIbwVDL
— Arlington Department of Environmental Services (@ArlingtonDES) January 8, 2020
The National Weather Service says it will be breezy and cold Wednesday, with wind gusts up to 35-45 mph.
Also tonight, Arlington’s Dept. of Parks and Recreation announced changes with its programs Wednesday.
Arlington Public Schools have announced a two hour delay Wed., Jan. 8 so DPR will proceed as follows per the DPR Inclement Weather Policy:
- All congregate meal programs will begin at 10 a.m.
- All Early Childhood Programs (Preschool and Co-op) will begin at 10 a.m.
- All Enjoy Arlington classes (except for Gymnastics), 55+ classes and trips, nature center programs, sports activities, leagues and instructional programs in County and joint use facilities scheduled to start prior to 9:59 a.m. are cancelled.
- All Enjoy Arlington classes (except for Gymnastic), 55+ classes and trips, nature center programs, sports activities, leagues and instructional programs in County and joint use facilities scheduled to start at 10 a.m. or later will proceed as scheduled.
- Gymnastic Classes scheduled to start prior to 11:59 a.m. are cancelled.
- Gymnastic Classes scheduled to start at noon or later will proceed as scheduled.
- All community centers (including the five joint use centers located at Carver, Drew, Gunston, Langston and TJ) will open as scheduled.
If readership is any indication, it seems like a lot of Arlington residents have the same itchy red insect bites described in this week’s most-read story. It was, in fact,…
A multi-year legal battle between a family and Arlington Public Schools over the appropriateness of their child’s special education support ended this summer with a decision in APS’s favor, handed down by federal court.
The Salt Line in Ballston is now “looking at a September opening,” restaurant representatives tell ARLnow. This another push back from the restaurant’s initial opening in spring 2020. Pandemic-related delays…
A 3 BD/2.5 BA home with hardwood floors, a wood burning fireplace and brick patio is included in the latest Open Houses.