It only became official yesterday afternoon, but this is now a long federal holiday weekend.
We join the rest of the Arlington community in commemorating and reflecting on Juneteenth today and tomorrow.
Given the new holiday, we’re ending the day a bit early. Below are the most-read ARLnow articles of the week.
- Arlington’s Torri Huske Going to Tokyo After Setting Record at Olympic Trials
- Authorities Advise Removing Bird Feeders, Still Stumped By Reports of Sick and Dead Birds
- RCA Redevelopment in Rosslyn Gets Green Light
- Popular NYC Bakery Mah-Ze-Dahr Opening in Crystal City This Weekend
- Combo Sandwich and Flower Shop to Replace Buzz Bakery in Ballston
- Noise Complaints Drown Out Discussion of Forthcoming Cherrydale Farmers Market
- Progressive Voice: Spreading “Gentle” Density Across Arlington Benefits Everyone
- County Board Drills Into AHC About Serrano Apartments Conditions
- ACPD Reports More Thefts Involving Unlocked Vehicles
- County Board Approves $16 Million Loan for Affordable Apartment Building in Ballston
- Whitlow’s Is Closing Next Week and Throwing Itself a Going-Away Party
Feel free to discuss those or any other local topics in the comments. Have a nice weekend!
A new draft of Plan Langston Blvd, which envisions a tree-lined, walkable, densely developed Route 29, dropped last week with a splash.
Say hello to Chico, the newest Adoptable Pet of the Week! This little guy is currently in foster through the Animal Welfare League of Arlington. Here is what his friends…
Arlington County is in the early stages of designing a multi-use trail facility along Long Bridge Drive. Now through mid-October, the county is gathering input on how people currently use…
Applications for the Arlington Innovation Fund (AIF) Catalyst Grant Program are now open, so don’t wait to apply!
The Arlington Sports Hall of Fame is extremely pleased to announce that our 2023 Annual Induction Dinner, again in partnership with the Better Sports Club of Arlington, will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 11, at the Knights of Columbus, located at 5115 Little Falls Road, Arlington, Va.
Our dinner will pay tribute to all the honored members of the Hall of Fame and will induct the following six new Class of 2023 inductees, joining the 62 athletes, coaches and contributors who have been inducted into ASHOF since its founding in 1958:
Noel Deskins (Yorktown Class of ’79): Track & Field record-holder & Athlete of the Year at YHS and JMU
Eric Metcalf (O’Connell Class of ’85): Star NFL running back, football and track & field record-holder and Hall of Famer at both O’Connell and the University of Texas
Our 9th Annual Jennifer Bush-Lawson 5K & Family Fun Day is scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 18, 2023, from 9:00am-1pm at the Knights of Columbus, 5115 Little Falls Rd, Arlington.
During a morning of celebration and health-focused activities — emceed by