Arlington and much of the region is now under a Flood Warning as rain continues to fall.
The warning was issued by the National Weather Service just after 12:30 p.m. Arlington is also under an earlier Coastal Flood Warning for significant tidal flooding along the Potomac.
More on the latest warning from NWS:
1234 PM EDT FRI OCT 29 2021
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
* FLOOD WARNING…
* UNTIL 630 PM EDT.
* AT 1234 PM EDT, DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED HEAVY RAIN WITH RAINFALL AMOUNTS AROUND 0.5 AND 1.5 INCHES ACROSS MOST OF THE WARNED AREA. A PERIOD OF HEAVY RAIN IS EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH 3 PM WITH RAINFALL RATES AROUND ONE INCH PER HOUR. THIS WILL CAUSE CREEKS AND STREAMS TO RISE THROUGH LATE THIS AFTERNOON. FLOODING IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN SHORTLY IN THE WARNED AREA.
* SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE… ARLINGTON… ALEXANDRIA… CENTREVILLE… DALE CITY… ROCKVILLE… BETHESDA… RESTON… ANNANDALE… CLINTON… SPRINGFIELD… COLLEGE PARK… SOUTH RIDING… FORT WASHINGTON… HERNDON… GREENBELT… FAIRFAX… LANGLEY PARK… BELTSVILLE… FORT HUNT… VIENNA…
ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2.5 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE WARNED AREA.
TURN AROUND, DON’T DROWN WHEN ENCOUNTERING FLOODED ROADS. MOST FLOOD DEATHS OCCUR IN VEHICLES.
1245p: Some of the heaviest rain yet inbound to DC area prompting flood warning for areas in red. Avoid travel near streams that frequently flood for next few hours.
Updates: https://t.co/x7toDoQFUp https://t.co/8maM7jRRdJ
— Capital Weather Gang (@capitalweather) October 29, 2021
Today’s Listing of the Day is a 3 BD/2 BA condo with a balcony and direct views of the Washington Monument.
A few hundred parents say Arlington Public Schools should prioritize recreating pre-Covid normalcy in the classroom and evaluating the use of electronic devices. That’s according to a recent informal survey…
The Barnes & Noble store in Clarendon was the scene of an alleged armed robbery today. Police responded around noon to the bookstore at 2800 Clarendon Blvd, in The Crossing…
The Arlington County Fire Department is reviving a door logo last seen on county vehicles more than 50 years ago. At the same time, the department is gradually upgrading its vehicles…
Now you can have fun with your family and friends when deciding where to eat!
Just hop aboard The Lunch Train and set the destination for: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or nightlife!
– No app necessary. Simply go to the website if you’d like!
– No account necessary
– Use your current location or a desired location
– Add restaurants you’re interested in, invite your friends, and play the game!
Lyon Park & Ashton Heights’ biennial home & garden biennial tour is back. The tour will include contemporary custom homes, older historic bungalows as well as renovated properties. One of the stunning homes on the tour is pictured above. In addition to beautiful & unique homes, the Villa & Vistas ’22 event will conclude with a festive reception at the Lyon Park Community Center at 414 N Fillmore Street, Arlington VA 22201. What could be better right?
All proceeds from this event will go to the Lyon Park Citizens Association (LPCA) towards our neighborhood jewel & hub, the Lyon Park Community Center (LPCC).
When: Sunday, October 2nd, Noon – 4 PM.
Where: Meet to get your tickets and the tour map at the Lyon Park Community Center (414 N Fillmore Street) We will have a table with information outside.
Join us as we explore Vini Franchetti & their two sister vineyards Passopisciaro (Sicily) and Vini Franchetti (Tuscany) for our Sicily/Tuscany Wine Dinner!
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 6pm
Special Guest: This wine dinner we will be hosting the wine maker