Several rounds of storms packing heavy downpours are possible tonight, leading to a Flood Watch being issued for Arlington and much of the region.
The watch is in effect until 4 a.m. Thursday.
Flash flooding and gusty winds are possible tonight, the National Weather Service says.
In Arlington, flooding is often limited to ponding on roadways and streams overtopping their banks, but some past summer rain storms have resulted in widespread flash flooding and numerous flooded basements.
…FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EDT THURSDAY…
* WHAT…Flash flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.
* WHERE…Portions of DC, Maryland, Virginia and panhandle West Virginia, including the following areas: in DC, District of Columbia. In Maryland, Anne Arundel, Central and Southeast Howard, Central and Southeast Montgomery, Frederick MD, Northwest Howard, Northwest Montgomery, Prince Georges and Washington. In Virginia, Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria, Clarke, Eastern Loudoun, Fairfax, Frederick VA and Western Loudoun. In panhandle West Virginia, Berkeley, Jefferson and Morgan.
* WHEN…Until 4 AM EDT Thursday.
* IMPACTS…Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…
– Numerous showers and thunderstorms with heavy rain are expected through this evening and into the overnight. Rainfall rates of 2 inches per hour are possible, leading to the potential for flash flooding especially in areas that see multiple rounds of heavy rain.
– Please visit https://www.weather.gov/safety/flood for flood safety and preparedness information.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.
The Flood Watch this evening has been expanded (areas in green), for the potential of flash flooding, with the possibility of gusty winds. Stay weather aware and see https://t.co/Kt74D8dUsR for the latest. #DCwx #MDwx #VAwx #WVwx pic.twitter.com/VpSzy4TqI4
— NWS Baltimore-Washington (@NWS_BaltWash) June 8, 2022
Tour Country Club Hills to discover its lush herbage, mature trees, and the Victorian and frame houses of the area in Neighborhood Spotlight.
A soggy weekend is on tap after an otherwise pretty nice final week of September. Obviously this week’s big story was the devastation in Florida, the huge scale of which…
Share your input on the Arlington Forestry and Natural Resources Plan by October 3.
A proposed bridge for bicyclists and pedestrians between Crystal City and the Southwest Waterfront area of D.C. has received $20 million in federal funding to move forward. When complete, the…
9th Street Chamber Music is back in business for its second season! 9SCM is disrupting the stereotypes of classical music as stuffy, dry, and elite through dynamic yet accessible performances and its one-of-a-kind String Quartet Intensive for young musicians in the DC Metro area.[9th Street Quartet](https://www.9thstreetchambermusic.com/9th-street- quartet)’s first concert is on Sunday, October 16 at 4:00 PM. The group will offer, for the first time, a ‘Playlist Shuffle’ themed concert featuring single movements of string quartet favorites. Tickets for this concert can be found here, and are $20 for adults and FREE for all students under 18.
Rehearsals began Monday, September 27 for the String Quartet Intensive, welcoming 32 new and returning members to the program. These talented musicians in grades 7 through 12 represent over fifteen area schools throughout Northern Virginia, DC and Maryland, and are an integral part of the growing 9SCM community. Their first performance will take place on Monday, November 28 at 7:30 PM.
Now you can have fun with your family and friends when deciding where to eat!
Just hop aboard The Lunch Train and set the destination for: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or nightlife!
– No app necessary. Simply go to the website if you’d like!
– No account necessary
– Use your current location or a desired location
– Add restaurants you’re interested in, invite your friends, and play the game!
Join us as we explore Vini Franchetti & their two sister vineyards Passopisciaro (Sicily) and Vini Franchetti (Tuscany) for our Sicily/Tuscany Wine Dinner!
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 6pm
Special Guest: This wine dinner we will be hosting the wine maker