Several rounds of storms packing heavy downpours are possible tonight, leading to a Flood Watch being issued for Arlington and much of the region.
The watch is in effect until 4 a.m. Thursday.
Flash flooding and gusty winds are possible tonight, the National Weather Service says.
In Arlington, flooding is often limited to ponding on roadways and streams overtopping their banks, but some past summer rain storms have resulted in widespread flash flooding and numerous flooded basements.
…FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EDT THURSDAY…
* WHAT…Flash flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.
* WHERE…Portions of DC, Maryland, Virginia and panhandle West Virginia, including the following areas: in DC, District of Columbia. In Maryland, Anne Arundel, Central and Southeast Howard, Central and Southeast Montgomery, Frederick MD, Northwest Howard, Northwest Montgomery, Prince Georges and Washington. In Virginia, Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria, Clarke, Eastern Loudoun, Fairfax, Frederick VA and Western Loudoun. In panhandle West Virginia, Berkeley, Jefferson and Morgan.
* WHEN…Until 4 AM EDT Thursday.
* IMPACTS…Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…
– Numerous showers and thunderstorms with heavy rain are expected through this evening and into the overnight. Rainfall rates of 2 inches per hour are possible, leading to the potential for flash flooding especially in areas that see multiple rounds of heavy rain.
– Please visit https://www.weather.gov/safety/flood for flood safety and preparedness information.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.
The Flood Watch this evening has been expanded (areas in green), for the potential of flash flooding, with the possibility of gusty winds. Stay weather aware and see https://t.co/Kt74D8dUsR for the latest. #DCwx #MDwx #VAwx #WVwx pic.twitter.com/VpSzy4TqI4
— NWS Baltimore-Washington (@NWS_BaltWash) June 8, 2022
It’s been a banner year so far for online holiday shopping. Fresh records for online shopping were set on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. There’s some question, however, as to…
American Legion Drama — “Bob Romano has been Post 139’s field manager and coach the last 13 seasons, leading the team to district championships and state-tournament berths. He has heard…
Good Wednesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
An employee of a shop in Courthouse was beaten by a robber early Wednesday morning, according to police. The robbery happened around 3 a.m. at the Tobacco Vape Cigars store…
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
The Optimist Club of Arlington is holding its 77th annual Christmas tree sale!
This year, the tree sale will be held at the Knights of Columbus (5115 Little Falls Road). The lot opens for sales on November 24th. The Optimist Club is selling small and large trees ranging from tabletop size to 10 foot tall trees! Wreaths, garland, tree stands, and White House Christmas ornaments will also be for sale.
100% of all proceeds go towards helping Arlington County youth.
For more information, please visit the Arlington Optimists website at https://optimistclubofarlingtonva.org/.
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to
2023 Christmas Tree Sales Begin
Saturday, December 2
Get your holiday decorating off to the right start this year! We will be selling 150 Fraser firs, freshly cut and delivered from Sparta, North Carolina.