Good Friday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 6087 times… so far.
📈 Top stories
The following are the most-read articles for today — Jun 30, 2023.
- Plans to turn Nottingham Elementary into ‘swing space’ prompt swift backlash
- Morning Notes
- Ballston Quarter is getting an interactive art installation for the month of July
- A gym in Shirlington hunts for a new home before closing its doors in August
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Arlington pulled prosecutors from traffic court. A driver who struck a girl on a bike escaped charges on an error. (13297 views)
- Arlington to consider hunting and sterilizing deer, or fencing parks, to cull herds (7834 views)
- JUST IN: Community activist charged with sexual assault (7745 views)
- ACPD: Bystanders intervene as suspect fights officer in Clarendon (7063 views)
- The new “athletic country club” in Clarendon is sprinting to open next month (6661 views)
- A tricycle-based Turkish coffee purveyor has set up shop in Ballston (5941 views)
- Three hurt in serious Route 50 crash (5106 views)
- NEW: Code Red air quality alert issued for Thursday (4766 views)
- More than a dozen mirrors stolen from cars parked in S. Arlington (3565 views)
- Plans to turn Nottingham Elementary into ‘swing space’ prompt swift backlash (3417 views)
- Parents call on APS to address slow academic growth, teacher turnover at Oakridge Elementary (3184 views)
- New draft plan for Langston Blvd calls for private development to help build public benefits (2598 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 9:00 am: Yard Sale for Camp Forget-Me-Not (Kids Grief Camp)
- 7:00 pm: Street Life Exhibit Opens July 1 with 7 pm Reception
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
⛈️ Saturday’s forecast
Scattered showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 87. South wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. At night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. South wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
– Chinese Proverb
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Wednesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
After a 2-year search for new digs, Arlington Independent Media is on the cusp of moving from its long-time headquarters in Clarendon.
Former Arlington Commonwealth’s Attorney Theo Stamos is taking a top job in the Virginia Attorney General’s Office. Stamos lost her reelection bid in 2019, defeated in the Democratic primary by…
Sometime next year, three residential streets in Arlington without sidewalks could get upgrades to allow for safer pedestrian and cyclist use. To help address demonstrated safety and access issues on…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to