Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Oct 6, 2023.
- 9:45 am: Photos of what to eat and drink at the newly reopened Crystal City Water Park | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:45 am: VDOT begins repairing a 50-year-old bridge over I-395 near Shirlington | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:45 am: Super Garden Market in Virginia Square returns under different owner and concept | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:45 pm: Obituary: Madelin Jones Barratt (1954-2023) | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- BREAKING: Two charged after more overdoses at Wakefield HS (23581 views)
- One Arlington restaurant made the Washington Post’s Fall Dining Guide (20979 views)
- New European-inspired bakery and cafe ‘coming soon’ to Ballston (8901 views)
- Anonymous commenting on new APS feedback platform divides some Arlington School Board members (6596 views)
- Man charged with DUI after rollover crash in Arlington Forest (6583 views)
- NOW: ACFD battling house fire in Arlington Forest (5938 views)
- Arlington Restaurant Week kicks off this month with nearly 50 participating eateries (5826 views)
- Celtic House plans to open new whiskey and bourbon bar later this fall (5357 views)
- Florida woman faces litany of charges after reported break-in and standoff (5296 views)
- Langston Blvd plan criticized for last-minute edits and smaller-than-hoped affordable housing commitments (5025 views)
- Free rush-hour ART bus fares in peak directions start today (3951 views)
- An Arlington-based startup accelerator has moved into new digs in Rosslyn, with room to grow (3201 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 9:00 am: Home Security Self-Defense Workshop
- 10:00 am: 2023 DC-Metro Modern Home Tour
- 10:00 am: Yoga in the Galleries
- 👉 12:00 pm: New Moms Groups forming now!
- 5:00 pm: Pink Carpet Event Charity Fashion Show
- 7:30 pm: The Comedy Karaoke Trivia Funtime Show with Dom Grayer
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 10:00 am: MoCA on the Move: Art Making Happy Hour — Participatory Art
- 2:00 pm: Board Game Afternoon
- 2:30 pm: Arlington County Candidate Forum
- 3:00 pm: Under Diana’s Stars
- 4:30 pm: Sound Meditation for Healing
🌧️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect scattered showers primarily before 1pm, followed by cloudy skies clearing gradually during the day, with a high temperature near 66°F. Strong northwest winds of 15-17 mph are anticipated, along with gusts up to 25 mph. There is a 50% chance of precipitation. For Saturday night, the sky will be clear with a low temperature of around 47°F accompanied by northwest winds of 11-14 mph and gusts up to 22 mph. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
– Albert Einstein
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
There’s no official word on its website, but it looks like Bar Ivy in Clarendon may have closed permanently.
There’s persistence, and then there is Audrey Clement and her decade-plus effort to get elected to local office in Arlington. Clement talked with ARLnow editor Scott Brodbeck to talk about…
Makers Union, an upscale gastropub, is set to open its doors in Pentagon City next week, says Alex Brown, the restaurant’s director of operations. This opening marks the third Makers Union location in the D.C. Metropolitan area, following the debut of its Reston location three years ago and a recent opening at the Wharf in early October.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
The Optimist Club of Arlington is holding its 77th annual Christmas tree sale!
This year, the tree sale will be held at the Knights of Columbus (5115 Little Falls Road). The lot opens for sales on November 24th. The Optimist Club is selling small and large trees ranging from tabletop size to 10 foot tall trees! Wreaths, garland, tree stands, and White House Christmas ornaments will also be for sale.
100% of all proceeds go towards helping Arlington County youth.
For more information, please visit the Arlington Optimists website at https://optimistclubofarlingtonva.org/.
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to
2023 Christmas Tree Sales Begin
Saturday, December 2
Get your holiday decorating off to the right start this year! We will be selling 150 Fraser firs, freshly cut and delivered from Sparta, North Carolina.