(Updated at 3:45 p.m.) Wondering where exactly the Deep Throat parking garage is in Arlington? There’s an iPhone (and Android) app for that.
A recently-updated app called It Happened Here detects your location and tells you interesting things that happened around you. Currently the app has information on six metro areas, including Washington. Among the interesting waypoints it will tell you about in Arlington:
* The strip mall parking lot where the founder of the American Nazi Party was assassinated in 1967
* The parking garage in which Washington Post reporters met in secret with “Deep Throat” in 1972
* The high school where Sandra Bullock became a cheerleader
* The place where Orville Wright “invented” the airline passenger in 1908
* The place where one end of the first trans-Atlantic voice communication took place in 1915
It Happened Here was developed by Ken Dodelin, an Arlington resident, with the help of some students in an Entrepreneurial Journalism class he teaches at Georgetown University’s Clarendon campus.
In addition to Washington, the app is also available for New York, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Philadelphia. Dodelin says he plans to add two more cities early next year.
It Happened Here is available from the iTunes App Store for $2.99.