Ahead of tonight’s potentially disruptive snow, Arlington Public Schools has cancelled all evening activities.
The National Weather Service has issued a warning for icy road conditions today from 5pm to 11pm and encourages everyone to adjust their travel plans during this time. As a result of the forecast for rush hour this evening, all APS Late Athletic Buses as well as all APS evening activities are cancelled for today. Tonight’s Summer Activities Fair is also canceled and will be held next Friday, Feb. 19. The APS Extended Day Program will close at the regular time, but parents are encouraged to pick up their children earlier if possible.
The cancelled activities include athletic events, like tonight’s scheduled Wakefield High School basketball games and senior night.
Also tonight, Arlington County community centers will be closing at 5 p.m. That and other cancellations from the Arlington Dept. of Parks and Recreation:
- The Summer Camp Fair scheduled at Thomas Jefferson Community Center tonight at 6 p.m. is canceled.
- All community centers (joint use and standalone) will close for the evening at 5 p.m.
- All Enjoy Arlington classes, 55+ classes, trips and nature center programs in all buildings with start times of 4 p.m. or later are canceled.
- All Sports activities, leagues and instructional programs are canceled for this evening.
- DPR Elementary and Teen After-school Programs will close at 5 p.m.
- All other events and activities scheduled after 5 p.m. this evening are canceled.
- All synthetic fields are closed for this evening.
- Powhatan Springs Skate park closed after 5 p.m.
The snow is currently not expected to start falling in Arlington until around 8 p.m. From the Capital Weather Gang:
— Capital Weather Gang (@capitalweather) February 12, 2016