A slow August has given way to a busy September.
There are a number of marquee events in Arlington this weekend. The annual Rosslyn Jazz Festival is taking place this afternoon, although you’ll have to brave mid-July-like heat. Tonight the Arlington 9/11 5K races around the Pentagon — and it’s not too late to register online.
Tomorrow, with temperatures back down to comfortable September levels, you’ll have your choice of Crystal City Sip and Salsa — an outdoor wine, food, music and dancing festival — and Beckett’s Celtic Fest in Shirlington, with “live music, dancers, pipers, food and drink.”
If you have some down time this weekend, be sure to check out our new weekly podcast. Our first episode features an interview with Arlington County Board member Katie Cristol. Expect interviews with other notable local figures, from business owners to policymakers to anyone doing anything interesting in Arlington.
If you’re hitting the road around Pentagon City today, you might want to take note of the road closures associated with the 5K. Per ACPD:
From 3:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m.
- Army Navy Drive closed between S. 12th Street to S. Eads Street
From 5:45 p.m. until approximately 6:30 p.m.
- Westbound Army Navy Drive closed from S. Eads Street to S. Joyce Street
- *****All streets crossing Army Navy Drive (including access to I-395 S/B) will be closed for approximately 20 minutes*****
- S. Joyce Street closed from Army Navy Drive to Columbia Pike
- Columbia Pike closed from Pentagon South Parking to S. Joyce Street
- I-395 Northbound HOV exit to S. Eads Street will be closed.
From 5:45 p.m. until approximately 8:00 p.m.
- Westbound Washington Boulevard closed from Memorial Bridge to I-395
- Southbound Rt. 110 closed from Rosslyn to S. 15th Street
- Marshall Drive closed at Rt. 110
- S. Eads Street closed from Army Navy Drive to S. 11th Street
In addition, street parking in the area will be restricted. Motorists should be on the lookout for temporary “No Parking” signs. Illegally parked vehicles may be ticketed or towed. If your vehicle is towed from a public street, call 703-558-2222.
Feel free to discuss this weekend’s events or any other topic of local interest in the comments.
Flickr pool photo by Kevin White
Did you know the Arlington Public Library lets you borrow free energy efficiency tools? The latest Rethink Energy shares the details.
President Joe Biden paid a visit to Arlington and the recently-renovated Lubber Run Park, in support of Democrat Terry McAuliffe’s Virginia gubernatorial bid.
With one month to go before school starts, parents are being urged to enroll their kids in some Arlington public schools amid a continued drop in enrollment. Screenshots and emails…
When Marjorie Tarantino was closing on the purchase of her townhouse this spring, she learned there were problems with the deck. Tarantino had bought a property in the Richard Bassett…