Good Friday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 4850 times… so far.
📈 Top stories
The following are the most-read articles for today — May 19, 2023.
- New apartment tower proposed for Route 1 in Crystal City
- TRAFFIC ALERT: S. Walter Reed Drive closed after gas line struck
- Morning Notes
- Boeing investments come ‘full-circle’ for W-L senior studying aerospace engineering at Yale
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- NEW: Local watering hole Thirsty Bernie is closing this weekend (8575 views)
- Owner says New District Brewery is kicked, plans to close for good at the end of the month (7957 views)
- Ballston’s Quarterfest Crawl is back early next month with a full line-up (6171 views)
- Morning Poll: Who has the best bagels in Arlington? (6100 views)
- Dozens of teens partying at vacant house scatter when police arrive (5360 views)
- The new Columbia Pike restaurant replacing P. Brennan’s is planning to open next month (5247 views)
- Arlington police searching for missing teen sisters (4737 views)
- Langston Blvd planning effort elicits strong opinions from residents about the future of their neighborhoods (4504 views)
- Green Valley residents voice concerns about open-air substance use, shootings near town square (2234 views)
- Lao restaurant Padaek and an acai bowl eatery are coming to the Arlington Ridge Shopping Center (2207 views)
- APS elementary student tops Virginia entries to Google Doodle competition (1938 views)
- Disabled resident prevails in zoning appeal over plans to build a therapeutic sunroom (1889 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 8:00 am: Lookin for a Cure
- 9:30 am: Get Lively at Bar Ivy
- 9:30 am: Get Fit with ArCTIC Brunch
- 10:00 am: LadyBug Academy Open House
- 11:00 am: Spring Fling: A Village Block Party
- 12:00 pm: Fashion Centre at Pentagon City Veterans Resource Fair
- 12:30 pm: Continuing the Narrative of Black Kirby’s Visual Rhetoric by Creative Response
- 2:00 pm: Build A Strong, Functional Core
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 12:30 pm: Plein Air Gouache Painting Workshop (Ages 18+)
- 3:00 pm: Free Alternatives That Complement Traditional Mental Health and SUD Care
⛈️ Saturday’s forecast
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 5pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. East wind 5 to 8 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 50%. At night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm, then a chance of showers between 11pm and 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. Northwest wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: It goes on.”
– Robert Frost
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Wednesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
After a 2-year search for new digs, Arlington Independent Media is on the cusp of moving from its long-time headquarters in Clarendon.
Former Arlington Commonwealth’s Attorney Theo Stamos is taking a top job in the Virginia Attorney General’s Office. Stamos lost her reelection bid in 2019, defeated in the Democratic primary by…
Sometime next year, three residential streets in Arlington without sidewalks could get upgrades to allow for safer pedestrian and cyclist use. To help address demonstrated safety and access issues on…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to