After an expected deluge tonight, Saturday may feature hazardous wind gusts.
The National Weather Service just issued the following Wind Advisory, warning of falling tree limbs and possible power outages to start the weekend.
…WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 4 PM EST SATURDAY…
* WHAT…West to southwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph expected.
* WHERE…Portions of central, north central, northeast, northern and western Maryland, The District of Columbia, northern and northwest Virginia and eastern and panhandle West Virginia.
* WHEN…From 7 AM to 4 PM EST Saturday.
* IMPACTS…Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects. Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may result.
In addition to the earlier Flood Watch, which takes effect at 6 p.m. tonight, Arlington is also under a Coastal Flood Advisory.
…COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO NOON EST SATURDAY…
* WHAT…Up to one foot of inundation above ground level expected in low lying areas due to tidal flooding.
* WHERE…Shoreline in the City of Alexandria and Arlington County.
* WHEN…From 5 AM to noon EST Saturday, especially around the time of high tide.
* IMPACTS…Water is expected to approach the curb near the intersection of King Street and Strand Street in Alexandria.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Tides two to two and a half feet above normal. The next high tides at Alexandria are at 8:59 PM this evening and 9:30 AM Saturday morning.
The active weather pattern is slated to continue into next week. Starting Sunday, arctic air will bring an extended bout of freezing temperatures to the area, ahead of a potential snowstorm on Tuesday.
Some forecasters are highlighting the potential of major snow accumulation, while others are more reserved in their predictions.
Hot of the Presses: The UKMET Model brings a major snowstorm Tuesday
Note: this snowfall map is based on a 10:1 ratio. This is probably much too low of a ratio based on the arctic cold availible to be tapped. If everything were to work out as the UKMET depicts, actual snowfall… pic.twitter.com/9oRwrKY8Jm
— Mark Margavage (@MeteoMark) January 12, 2024
Take a tour of the Courthouse neighborhood and explore two local favorites of Sallie Seiy, your guide in the latest Neighborhood Spotlight.
Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
The Arlington County Board and the Human Rights Commission are at odds over whether commissioners had the right to request an investigation into possible human and civil rights violations at…
Expanded renovated 4 BR 3 bath with garage in Cardinal Swanson Yorktown pyramid
The Potomac Roasting Company is a local micro-roaster specializing in artisan coffee. We precision roast high-quality specialty beans sourced from small farms in Latin America that are owned and operated by women. Your coffee will be roasted the way you want it and delivered fresh.
As two former Peace Corps volunteers who served in Guatemala, we founded Potomac Roasting to pursue our passion for great coffee and purpose-driven work. In addition to ethically sourcing our beans, we also donate a portion of our profits to Laila’s Legacy Animal Rescue, a DC-based nonprofit that finds homes for homeless dogs and cats.
Our current roasts come from prime coffee-producing regions of Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Peru. We will be adding new roasts soon. If you are local, there’s a good chance we can deliver to your door. Look for us at local farmers’ markets beginning this spring. In the meantime, check us out now for better coffee and good karma in a cup. You can use the code Community and save 10%.
🎉 Tonight, we invite you to the French Riviera, one of the most exciting places on earth – without ever boarding a plane! And celebrate Mardi Gras and the Carnival of Nice on French soil as we welcome you to a special evening at the Embassy of France!
From the elegance of classical French culture to the most celebrated Rivera nightlife of the 21st Century, experience a special evening of fantastic French food, wine, music, and ambiance.
Enjoy the flavors of Nice, Monaco, and St. Tropez in the beautiful and festive Maison Francaise at the French Embassy.
🍽️ On the Menu: Delicious French food
Cody Chance and Dick Nathan of Long & Foster are hosting a free workshop on the topic of “down-sizing” at their office on Cherry Hill Rd. (formerly Lee Highway) in Arlington on Thursday, February 29 from 5:30PM-7:00PM.
Every great endeavor