Join Club

Miriam Zogby Balutis (Age 78)
Memorial service info

Miriam Zogby Balutis was born on August 22, 1945 in Utica, NY, and died on August 22, 2023 at her home in Arlington, VA, enveloped in the warmth, love and care of her family, and secure in the knowledge that the former president’s next arraignment was imminent. She is survived by her devoted partner of many years, Jan Jaworski, and her two beloved children Juliette (Nor) Balutis and Adam Balutis. She is also survived by her sister Sadieann (Robert) Spear; niece Rachel (Robert Palladino) Mazzotta; nephew Christian (Barbara) Mazzotta; cousin Marya (Christopher Healey) Myslinski; and their children. She was preceded in death by her parents, Wadih and Juliette Zogby.

Miriam died of metastatic breast cancer, and it was her clear and strong wish that in memorializing her, we eschew the warrior and battle-centric language that we often see used to define the cancer experience, along with its tacit implication that surviving or dying from cancer is simply a variable driven by the will of a patient. Miriam did not “lose her battle” with cancer; she endured it for seven and a half years, abiding difficult treatments and rare side effects while living her life as well and as fully as possible throughout: traveling extensively with her partner, hosting joyful gatherings at her home, contributing her time and energy to countless campaigns to elect Democrats in Virginia and across the nation, volunteering in her community, growing numerous varieties of heirloom tomatoes in her beautifully self-landscaped backyard, and spending many treasured hours with family and friends. Though she is no longer bound by the physical body that cancer destroyed, she didn’t lose anything – not her perspective, her dignity, her sense of humor, her quick wit, her compassion for others, her moral clarity, her intolerance for injustice, her brilliant mind, her wide-ranging wisdom, her commitment to community, or her love of life’s simple joys. Her loss is solely ours: the tremendous, seismic loss of an indomitable and loving mother, partner, friend and neighbor.

Miriam grew up in Utica, NY and moved to Arlington in 1977 after earning a Bachelor’s Degree from Utica College and a Master’s Degree from SUNY Buffalo. She spent much of her career as a dedicated civil servant at the United States Census Bureau, where she worked for more than 25 years, joining in 1985 and retiring in 2011. She worked on three Censuses (1990, 2000, and 2010), and the Commerce Department recognized her with its Bronze Medal Award in 2001 for her outstanding contributions to the successful completion and evaluation of the 2000 Census. She developed instructional and training materials that translated complex survey designs into understandable form for thousands of newly hired temporary interviewers, and assumed additional management roles in the later Censuses. The results of these surveys were critically important to understanding how accurately and completely the Census was taken. She was highly regarded, liked and respected by her colleagues and her staff for her expertise, insight, craft, and common sense, leavened with a sense of humor and a calm and steady demeanor.

In addition to her professional commitment to public service, Miriam was passionate about civic participation and community engagement in her personal life. She served for many years as an Arlington County Democratic Party precinct captain, worked the polls in the wee hours of the morning nearly every election, developed and administered the volunteer training program for Arlington Neighborhood Villages, and volunteered for Matthew 25, a social justice ministry distributing clothing and household goods to those in need.

Read More

Vincenzo Farruggio (Age 72)
Memorial service info

Local restaurateur passes, leaving his legacy in Northern Virginia

Vincenzo Farruggio, 72, of Alexandria Virginia, passed away on Saturday, August 19th, 2023 after being diagnosed with cancer in March

Vincenzo “Vinny” Farruggio was born on March 27th, 1951 in the town of Castrofilippo in Sicily to Rosario and Maria Farruggio. His entrepreneurial spirit started at the age of 12 when he sold fruit around his town. Ever since then, he never stopped working and always made sure he had money in his pocket.

In 1970 he moved to the United States with his family and lived in Brooklyn where he worked as a jeweler in the Diamond District in Manhattan. In 1977 he met Rosa Fiuza at an Italian discotheque and it was love at first sight. They married on July 16th, 1983 at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church in Falls Church Virginia, and went on to have three children, Rosabel, Rosario and Gabriella.

In 1978 he and his brothers moved to Virginia to start a pizza restaurant in Woodbridge called Joe’s Place Pizza and Pasta. Throughout the next 40 years they expanded the restaurant to five locations and Vincenzo owned and operated his own location at Bailey Crossroads. Everyone who dined at Joe’s Place was treated like family and Vinny’s service to others cannot be overstated. His last restaurant, A Modo Mio in Arlington VA, is still running and owned together with his two brothers Giuseppe and Calogero Farruggio.

Throughout the decades that Vincenzo spent as a restaurateur, he consistently gave back to the community by not only providing employment, but also by sponsoring local sports teams and contributing to charitable events. He was known for his fun neighborhood 4th of July parties complete with food and fireworks each year. In 2007 Vincenzo retired and was lucky enough to be able to watch his kids grow-up all while spending his winters in Florida where he enjoyed daily walks on the beach. He was a loving, caring, and genuine Father, Brother, Husband, Son, Uncle, and Friend. He made an impression on everyone’s heart.

Vincenzo is survived by his wife Rosa, his children Rosario, Gabriella, and Rosabel, and grandchildren Gemma, James, Lucy, Dominic, and Penelope. His siblings, Calogero, Maria and Giuiseppe.

His memorial service will be held on Sunday, August. 27, 2023 at National Funeral Home and Memorial Park.

Submitted by A Modo Mio Restaurant

Captain Kyle ‘Topper’ Lawrence Leese (Age 51)

Captain Kyle “Topper” Lawrence Leese, United States Navy, passed away on July 19, 2023, after a brief illness. At the time of his passing, he had served as an Intelligence Officer for nearly three decades. CAPT Leese is survived by his wife of 24 years, Joanne; their eighteen-year-old son, Evan; his mother, Laraine Leese-Filla and his stepfather, Tom Filla; his extended family in Canada; and a myriad of friends, sailors and shipmates on whom he has left an indelible impression.

Born in Camden, NJ, and raised in Haddonfield, NJ, CAPT Leese was an avid Philadelphia sports fan and attended Eagles and Phillies games whenever the opportunity arose. CAPT Leese attended the University of San Diego on a soccer scholarship and earned degrees in History and Anthropology in 1994. He obtained his commission via the Navy’s Officer Candidate School in 1995 in Pensacola, FL. He is also a distinguished graduate of the Naval War College, with a Master’s Degree in National Security Studies.

CAPT Leese began his Naval Intelligence Officer career with Fighter Squadron Forty-One in Virginia Beach, VA. From 1997-1999 he served as the Intelligence Officer for the Black Aces where he was given the call sign “Topper”, because he would always top any story that his squadron mates came up with. He was instrumental in the development of tactics using the TARPS pod that VF-41 used successfully during Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Southern Watch.

After VF-41, then LT Leese took orders to United States Southern Command, Miami, FL (1999-2002), serving as Liaison to the Joint Special Operations Command; J2X Collection Planner; Chief-J2 Collections Plans, and Executive Assistant to the Chief of Staff. His next command (2002-2005) was Fleet Intelligence Training Center-Pacific (FITCPAC) in San Diego, CA, where he served as an instructor for a variety of courses that included Strike Planning, Navy Special Warfare Intelligence Course, and Operational Intelligence. During his time at FITCPAC, then LT Leese deployed to JTF-HOA, Djibouti, Camp Lemonnier (2004), serving with JSOTF-HOA and J2X. From 2005-2007, he served as the Assistant Intelligence Officer at Commander, Strike Force Training-Atlantic, in Norfolk, VA. His responsibilities included certification of all East Coast deploying operational Navy and Marine Corps units’ intelligence departments as combat ready in all aspects of intelligence, including HUMINT collection and Management, targeting support to strike warfare, and operational intelligence. From 2007-2008, he attended the Naval War College in Newport, RI. While at the War College, he was selected to train as an Assistant Naval Attaché and was then designated for assignment to the American Embassy in Beijing, China. Prior to deployment to China, then LCDR Leese spent two years undergoing intensive training, including fifteen months of Mandarin lessons. That training prepared him for promotion to full Commander and service from 2010-2012 at one of our most demanding diplomatic posts. Following his time in Beijing, then CDR Leese was selected to be the Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence (N2) for CTF-70/Battleforce Seventh Fleet, forward deployed and embarked onboard USS George Washington (CVN-73) in Yokosuka, Japan (2013-2015). From 2015 until his passing, CAPT Leese served in several positions of importance in the greater Washington DC area. They included serving as a member of the Naval Intelligence Activity (2019) and the OPNAV staff, leading a cross-functional team responsible for delivering the Engineering Level Characterization of the Adversary (ELCA) roadmap. On the N2N6 staff at the Pentagon, CAPT Leese served as the Senior Naval Intelligence Officer-China, and as the Senior N2N6 representative to the Naval Strategy Panel.

CAPT Leese’s work at CTF-70 resulted in him being awarded the Excellence in Intelligence and Information Warfare Award (EIIWA). The EIIWA is given to those Intelligence professionals who deliver outstanding, actionable intelligence to operators and decision-makers responsible for safeguarding US interests and the interests of our partners throughout the Far East. CAPT Leese also received the following awards throughout his career: the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Joint Service Commendation and Achievement Medals, and the Navy Commendation and Achievement Medals. He also received a variety of unit and deployment awards.

CAPT Leese, “Topper”, never did anything half-way. From his love of all things Philly, to learning multiple languages, to every job he did for the Navy, Topper was always “all in”. He will be greatly missed. Fare Winds and Following Seas, Topper. A funeral service will be held at Our Lady of Lourdes, Arlington, VA, on August 7, at 1:30pm, followed by a reception. Internment at Arlington National Cemetery will take place at a later date. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society.

Submitted by Storke Funeral Home


Douglas Louis Rowan (Age 70)
Memorial service info

‘Birds sing out of tune and rain clouds hide the moon.’

Douglas “Doug” Louis Rowan, passed away suddenly on July 15, 2023, while visiting family on the New Jersey shore. Doug was born in Washington, D.C on January 26, 1953, to Edward and Nancy Rowan who preceded him in death.

Doug grew up in Arlington, VA and attended Ashlawn Elementary, Kenmore Junior and Washington and Lee High schools. He graduated from the College of William and Mary with a bachelor’s degree in political science and earned a Master’s degree in Education. He then returned to Arlington where he began teaching social studies to high school students with special needs for the Fairfax County Public Schools.

As a boy, outside of school, Doug was either riding his bike, listening to music, swimming at Powhatan Springs pool or playing tennis. He went on to play varsity tennis in high school. Behind his easy-going demeanor Doug was a fierce competitor on the court. In his fifties he contracted a partially disabling disease that ended his tennis playing, but not his swimming which he did just about every day. Doug loved music, the beach, watching the sunset, biking, old movies, Bon Air rose garden, seeing fireworks, going to see the cherry blossoms and reading the newspapers he called a history book.

Doug was a great conversationalist and could regale friends or strangers for hours. His relentless off-the-wall sense of humor would leave people laughing so hard they could hardly breathe. With his magnetic personality he made friends easily and with his true-blue loyalty he cultivated lifelong friendships. He made the lives of people he met along life’s journey better for having met him. He played the guitar and somehow managed to win free concert tickets from radio contests knowing the lyrics to all genres. Like many, Doug had his challenges. He spent months beating stage four cancer, but you’d never know it. Doug was always optimistic and living in the brighter side of life.

Doug is survived by his life partner Kathy Burke McKeon, brother George Rowan, M.D., sister in-law Kathy Rowan, sister, Nancy Milam, nephews Thomas Rowan and Doug Milam, his extended family, Jim, Mary Jean, Katie, Patrick and Amanda Burke, and numerous friends.

Doug was a passionate liberal and proud union member (AFT) and the Fairfax County Federation of Teachers, a proud member of Theta Delta Chi Fraternity, and a proud lifelong Arlingtonian. He enjoyed traveling the world with Kathy—and winter visits to Florida to swim. Doug will be sorely and greatly missed by everyone who was lucky enough to call him friend.

Funeral Arrangements by Murphy Funeral Home, 4510 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA, 22203

Visitation: Sunday, July 23, 2-4 PM and 7-9 PM

Celebration of Life: Westover Baptist Church Monday, July 24, 11-12 PM

Burial: National Memorial Park Monday, July 24, 1-2 PM

Submitted by Murphy Funeral Home Arlington

George Samuel Hobart (Age 87)
Memorial service info

George Samuel Hobart died peacefully on July 6, 2023, of complications from leukemia. He was born in Brooklyn, NY, on October 5, 1935.

He was pre-deceased by his parents, Robert William Hobart, and Lillian Siipola Hobart; and his half-brother Ted Wilsing; his aunt and uncle Martin and Bertha Zajac; and his cousin Ellie Zajac Namnoun. George and his brother went to live with the Zajacs after their parents died and attended high school while living with them. He is survived by his sons, Robert Charles Hobart and Ted Hobart, and his daughter, Lauren Elisabeth Bass (Greg); his grandson, Gregory Hobart (Sarah) and great-granddaughter, Olivia, stepson Edwin Sale (Kirsten), stepdaughter Anita Sale Clegg (David), and grandchildren Robert, Jennifer, Emily, Laura and Jonathan. His marriages to Johanna Ulmer and Anne Lang ended in divorce. His wife, of nearly 20 years, Marjorie, survives him.

Upon graduation from high school, George entered the Navy near the end of the Korean War, and then used the G.I. Bill to earn a degree in history from the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. He served in the office of the Chief of Military History in the Pentagon before transferring to the Library of Congress where he became the Curator of Documentary Photographs in the Prints and Photographs Division. He was one of the original ushers at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts when it opened and served for more than 50 years in that role. George loved bringing others to enjoy the performing arts.

George was a talented, left-handed tennis player, active in The Tennis Group in Virginia and Maryland for decades, and the Federal League, Arlington Forest Club teams, Arlington’s senior tennis, and was a Virginia gold medal winner in the 70 and over category of men’s singles tennis in the Senior Olympics one year. George sang in a variety of choruses including the Arlingtones Barbershop Chorus in Virginia, the Clarendon United Methodist Church Choir, The Medical Musical Group, and The Jefferson Chorus in his retirement community. He was an active member of the Finlandia Foundation National Capital Chapter and Encore Learning.

A celebration of his life will take place at Clarendon United Methodist Church, 606 N Irving Street in Arlington on Friday, July 14, at 11:00 am. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the music ministry of the church in his memory.

Submitted by Murphy Funeral Home

John C. Levock (Age 77)
Memorial service info

John Carl Levock Sr., 77, of Arlington, VA, died Wednesday, July 5th, 2023. John was born June 4, 1946, the youngest child of Margaret and Michael Levock of Uniontown, PA. His early days were spent hunting and fishing with his dog Skippy.

After serving in the Army during the Vietnam War, he settled in Arlington, VA, where he met and married Kathryn Votruba and gave birth to their son, John Jr, in 1979. John and Kathy were together for 40 years, and married over 37 and he was completely devoted to her. He was a Postal Carrier in the City of Falls Church for over 30 years.

John was preceded in death by his father, Michael, mother Margaret, wife Kathryn, and brother Michael. He is survived by his son, John and his husband Shane, his two grandsons, Harvey and Kit, and his niece and nephew Sonya and Michael.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Lost Dog and Cat Rescue. To leave condolences to the family, please visit

Funeral arrangements at Arlington Cemetery will released in the future.

Submitted by Murphy Funeral Home

2 Comment

Betty Stearn (Age 91)

Betty Stearn passed peacefully on May 10, 2023 at John Knox Village in Orange City, Florida. Predeceased by Harold Stearn, her husband of 62 years, Betty is survived by her five children: Becky Marshall (Jack), Suzanne Stearn, Sherry Bicak (Jim), Pam Yokobosky, and Jon Stearn (Laura). As the matriarch of the Stearn family, Betty was blessed to have and loved dearly her twelve grandchildren and twelve great-grandchildren.

Born in 1931 to Horace and Mary Durham, Betty Anne was the youngest of four siblings. Following the premature passing of her mother, Betty was raised by her aunt and uncle, Hope and DeShay Turner, in Goodlettsville, Tennessee. In 1949, Betty graduated from Hendersonville High School as Valedictorian while also serving as the class president. Shortly after graduation, Betty visited her sister, Mary Katherine (“Kak”) in the Washington, D.C. metro area where she would soon move. While there, she met Harold and the couple wed in 1953. Betty was a devoted mother to her five children who she raised in the Northern Virginia area where she lived until 1988.

An avid bridge player, Betty was a whiz at logic games and puzzles. Whether it was school or team functions while raising her children, charitable work as a member of the American Women’s Association in Amman, driving the ambulance in Mathews County or teaching English as a second language in Florida, Betty was a dedicated member of the community everywhere she lived.

Once her children were raised, Betty enjoyed the opportunity to see the United States and the world beyond. In the mid-1980s, Betty lived with Harold in Amman, Jordan for two years. While there, they toured throughout the Middle East and embraced much of the Arabic culture. In her fifties, Betty learned to snow ski in Switzerland. The culmination of their time in Jordan was a driving adventure through Syria, Turkey, Yugoslavia, Greece and Italy. Later that decade, the driving adventures continued with RV trips to Vancouver, British Columbia via Granbury, Texas and eventually traversing Canada from east to west into Alaska. Betty even spent one winter in North Dakota as part of an in-residence women’s health medical study. Betty’s final big adventure was a Panama Canal transit on a cruise from Florida to San Diego with her youngest daughter, Pam.

In 1988, Betty and Harold built a house in Cobbs Creek, Virginia (Mathews County) which served as their primary base for ten years. From here, she routinely visited and hosted their children and grandchildren who dispersed across the country and the world. While there, they began to spend winters in Cocoa Beach, Florida where they eventually moved. Shortly after the turn of the century, Betty and Harold moved into John Knox Village of Orange City, Florida where they lived out their retirement years.

Betty will be missed dearly by her children, family members and friends. The family expects to hold a celebration of life later this year.

Marjorie “Midge” Moreau (submitted photo)

Marjorie “Midge” Ann Moreau (Age 76)
Memorial service info

Marjorie Ann Moreau, known to many as “Midge,” passed away peacefully at her sister’s home surrounded by family on May 8th, 2023, in Arlington, VA at the age of 76. Midge was born on September 30th, 1946, to CWO4 Arthur S Moreau and Margie L Moreau. She grew up in Arlington, VA, and attended Bishop O’Connell High School before going to Maryview Hospital School of Nursing to pursue her passion for healthcare.

Midge specialized in cardiovascular and trauma care as a registered nurse, and her contributions to the field of emergency medicine were invaluable. Midge helped establish the first MEDSTAR shock- trauma center and ICU at Washington Hospital Center. She then established and taught the first ever class of paramedics to begin serving the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area. Later, she founded her own company, TECCED, where she trained emergency medicine to DCFD, Park Police, Capitol police, and other DMV EMS from 1982 – 2004. Midge traveled the world setting up Emergency medical systems and facilities in over 8 countries. Always a teacher, she continued her work in educating fellow healthcare professionals in PALS at Howard and GW university medical schools, as well as CPR for the public until her retirement in 2019.

Midge’s devotion was not limited to her career, but extended to her family, friends, and community. Midge was most devoted to her family, coaching her nieces’ softball team and showing up to all nieces’ and nephews’ sports games, choral recitals, plays, and graduations. She was always there with a smile on her face and the biggest hug to give. Her character flowed over into every aspect of life – lending an ear to a friend, arranging celebrations for holy days, and always offering care, love, and comfort to every ailing patient. As described in her Maryview yearbook 67′, Midge remained “A Warm Heart, and Willing Hands” until the very end.

Marjorie is survived by her siblings and their respective spouses – Therese and Joseph Crivella, James Moreau, and Mary Jo and Paul Fredrich. She also leaves behind many nieces, nephews, grand-nieces, and grand-nephews. Midge was preceded in death by her parents and her sister, Geraldine Fitzpatrick.

Midge’s full mass will be held on May 24th at 11:00 am at St. Ann Roman Catholic Church at 5300 10th St. N, Arlington, VA 22205. A remembrance gathering will follow. In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to the Society of the Little Flower at

Midge will be deeply missed by all who knew her, and her legacy of devotion, kindness, and love will continue to inspire those who were lucky enough to be touched by her life.

>> Donation link

The following memorial event is planned.

Full Mass Funeral
May 24, 2023 from 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
St. Ann Roman Catholic Church
5300 10th Street N
Arlington, Virginia 22205

Thomas L. Vardaman (Age 82)

Mr. Thomas L. Vardaman passed away peacefully at home in Baker, West Virginia on January 8, 2023 surrounded by James Young and his beloved dogs Jasper & Otis. Thom was born on January 25, 1941, to Mr. and Mrs. Terry C and Ann Louise (Moore) Vardaman in Birmingham, Alabama. He graduated from Shades Valley High School, Birmingham, Alabama in 1959 and from Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama earning a degree in communications in 1963. He was a member of the United States Marines guard unit for six years.

Thom was predeceased by his parents, grandparents Porter and Gertrude Vardaman, Charles and Pauline Moore, one sister Terry Vardaman Edmonds, and Life Partner Charles (Sandy) Sandlin. He is survived by his spouse, Jim Young, Baker, West Virginia, sister Mary Charles Vardaman Capp, Birmingham, Alabama and nieces and nephews.

Thom moved to the Washington, DC area in the late 60s and settled in Arlington, VA.

He followed his dreams in communications working for Voice of America and the White House Press Corp. In retirement, Thom repositioned and planned cruises and trips for family and friends. Thom experienced a life well lived and well-travelled. He leaves behind numerous close friends. He enjoyed many things: trains, traveling the world, cooking, and gardening.

A Celebration of Life gathering was held February 25, 2023 at Lost River Grill, Lost River, WV.

In lieu of flowers, consider donating to help feed our neighbors or to shelter and care for animals:

The Wardensville Food Pantry
C/O Kathleen Hott
26405 St Rd 55
Wardensville, WV 26851


PHAR – Potomac Highlands Animal Rescue
940 Corner Rd
Cabins, WV 26855

Sally F. Pabst (Age 77)
Memorial service info

Sally F. Pabst, born Sally Gorton Fisher in February 1945, was the daughter of the late William Dale Fisher and Sarah Guiou Fisher and the older sister of the late William Guiou Fisher, passed away on October 3rd, 2022 at her home in Montferrand, France at the age of 77.

She is survived by her husband David A. Pabst, two sons: Dale Avery Pabst (wife Gretchen) of Oak Beach, New York, Alec Guiou Pabst (wife Yoshiko), and granddaughter Reina Pabst of London, UK, and brother David Baldwin Fisher (wife Jan) of Maui, HI.

Sally’s passions ranged from music and dance, in her early years teaching her musician brother David to play the guitar and art history, becoming a docent at the National Gallery of Art and volunteering at art institutions overseas. She and her husband David also enjoyed collecting Asian art and antiques over multiple years living in Japan and Laos.

Sally grew up in a US Foreign Service family, spending much of her early life overseas. In her younger years while her father was American Consul in Florence Italy she was schooled at Miss Barry’s American School. When he was later reassigned to the U.S. Naval War College in Newport, Rhode island she lived in a modest but lovely house on Newport’s Cliff Walk lined with historic mansions. Then, when her father was reassigned to the American Embassy in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia she attended school in Nairobi, Kenya. Unfortunately, after several years in Ethiopia her father was killed on duty in an upcountry plane crash, forcing a hasty return of the family to Washington. There she attended the Holten-Arms School prior to enrolling at Smith College.

After graduating from Smith, Sally continued with graduate studies at the Johns Hopkins School of International Studies (SAIS), including spending a semester in Bologna, Italy. Upon graduating from SAIS, she moved back to Washington DC and started work at the World Bank. While in DC she met her future husband, David Pabst, a young Foreign Service Officer, at a party in Georgetown. Having grown up overseas, she didn’t bat an eye when David invited her to join him in Southern Laos on his first assignment. She sold her trusty VW Bug for a one-way ticket to Bangkok, Thailand where David met her. They then hopped a secret intelligence short-takeoff-and-landing aircraft flight over the border to Laos (foiling the existing strict controls on admittance to that country). Sally already spoke decent French (the second language of Laos) and loved life as she and David moved back and forth between the capital of Vientiane and his job overseeing the Laotian struggle with the Vietnam war in southern Laos. Meanwhile, Sally’s mother, a career US diplomat in Barbados, got wind of their escapades and leaned on her old friend, David’s boss, the US Ambassador to Laos, to have a discussion with him. This soon led to a wedding in the lovely garden of the Ambassador’s Residence in Vientiane. Not long thereafter her mother was reassigned to the US Embassy in Bangkok, meaning Sally could frequently visit her mom’s lovely house along the banks of a Klong (canal) in that vibrant city.

From Laos, Sally and David moved on to Tokyo, Japan where she thrived and became fluent in Japanese, eventually taking on a role as an editor for a Japanese government trade magazine. She also bore their first son, Dale, named after her father. They moved on from Tokyo to the US Consulate in Fukuoka where she worked at Suntory Whisky and bore their second son, Alec. Sally had loved Tokyo but liked Fukuoka even more, as her demanding new job, two young sons and the city’s vibrant nightlife, steps from their sprawling, picturesque historic house and garden. After four wonderful years in southern Japan they were sent back to Washington where they bought and renovated a lovely old historic house in the Dupont Circle area, but the call of more overseas adventures came, and they soon moved on to Paris, where David served in the US embassy and where Sally had spent some of her childhood. While overseeing the education of their two young sons in a French school she explored the wonders of one of the world’s great cities. After six years in Paris they returned to Washington for a few years where Sally continued restoration of their Dupont Circle house.

They then returned to Japan, where David served as US Consul General in Osaka. While managing a full calendar of entertainment around the consular corps and public relations duties, Sally took a job as a copy editor for a large consumer goods and restaurant conglomerate, helping address translation faux pas from English to Japanese along the way.

Their last official post in the Foreign Service was at NATO’s southern Headquarters in Naples, Italy. Again, Sally was in an element where she could thrive. After having been schooled as a girl in Florence and her later graduate studies in Bologna, she regained her Italian fluency. She spent her days exploring southern Italy and the Naples area with gusto. An avid student of art history, she particularly enjoyed the rich treasures and historical frescoes at Pompeii and Herculaneum, while learning to make limoncello from the lemon trees in her garden overlooking the Mediterranean.

In their golden years of retirement Sally and David purchased a summer home in southwestern France at a lock on the banks of the historic Canal du Midi, which links the Mediterranean and Atlantic. They enjoyed the spring and summer months there while spending falls and winters catching up with friends back in DC. Sally passed away while at their French home at age 77 on October 3, 2022 after many years exploring the rich culture and cuisine of Languedoc.

A funeral service for Sally will be held at 10:45 AM on Tuesday, March 21, 2023, at Fort Myer Old Post Chapel with a burial to follow at Arlington National Cemetery. A celebration of her life will follow at her home in Arlington.

Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at for the Pabst family.

Submitted by Murphy Funeral Home


James Gregory Means (Age 63)
Memorial service info

James Gregory Means, age 62, died unexpectedly on February 5, 2023. A private service will be held on Tuesday, February 28, 2023, at Murphy’s Funeral Home in Arlington, VA. Friends and colleagues are invited to join the family from 3-6 pm at Washington Golf and Country Club.

Born in Hampton, Arkansas on July 15, 1960, Greg later attended Little Rock Central High School and the University of Arkansas. He was preceded in death by his parents, J. L. Means, Jr. and Margie Nutt Means, of Hampton, Arkansas; his sister Paula Means Bailey and her son Atticus Bailey of Arlington, VA; and his grandparents, Jim and Mary Means, of Woodberry, Arkansas and Cecil and Izola Nutt of Hampton, Arkansas.

Left to mourn his passing are his beloved wife of nearly 30 years, Lisa Caroline Means and their sons James Julian and Anthony Patrick Means, all of Arlington, VA; brother-in-law James Bailey and his sons Avery and Dylan; sister Nancy Means Holley, her husband Ken, and their children Emma, Gage, and Henry of Texas; his aunt, uncle and cousins: Mike and Ann Nutt, Michael and Cheryl Nutt, and Christopher Nutt all of Hampton, Arkansas; and his in-laws Ann Moody, David Moody of Bothell, WA and Jonathan Moody of Surprise, AZ.

Like many inspired and ambitious young men, Greg packed up his meager belongings, piled them into his old clunker, and moved to Washington DC to work on Capitol Hill post-college. He spent the next ten years working on a variety of congressional campaigns and on Capitol Hill, culminating with his service as Chief of Staff for Rep. Dennis Eckart (D-OH). Upon leaving the Hill, Greg joined Duffy Wall and Associates, but in 1996 he opened a small lobbying practice with friends, which ultimately grew and transformed into the Alpine Group, a premier government affairs firm in Washington, DC.

As a founding principal of Alpine, his contributions went far beyond the external business of client work and firm management. Over time he became the firm’s ethos and provided generous mentorship to those fortunate enough to work alongside him. With his combination of quick wit, unflappable demeanor, brutal honesty, and razor-sharp mind, he was known by his friends and clients for being the first person one should call when faced with a challenge.

Outside of work, Greg was a member of the 116 Club and the Washington Golf and Country Club, where he served on its board for six years. Throughout his children’s young lives, he was a dedicated basketball coach in Arlington youth sports, known and respected by “the boys” for his guile, clever ball play, and “colorful” language.

Greg’s zest for life and all its adventures was boundless and he was a gifted story teller, always looking for his next victim to regale with his stories of growing up in small town Arkansas. His interests are too numerous to cite, but some favorites included his children and anything about their lives; Razorback sports; golf; gambling in all its forms; playing guitar; making queso for friends; The Who’s Quadrophenia album; playing cards; Monopoly as a blood sport; BBQ; fried okra; live music; and a great story. But mostly his life’s greatest pride, love and admiration was to his wife, Lisa.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Braylon Meade Memorial Scholarship Fund at the Arlington Community Foundation or the Lost Dog & Cat Rescue Foundation. The family also extends its deep gratitude to the many friends, colleagues, and neighbors that have showered us with kindness for which we are eternally grateful.

Submitted by Murphy Funeral Home

2 Comment

Subscribe to our mailing list