(Updated at 10:40 p.m.) The National Weather Service issued a Winter Storm Warning for Arlington the rest of the D.C. area this afternoon.
As of Monday night, forecasters are saying that 4-8 inches of snow is likely on Tuesday, with the heaviest snow falling around the evening rush hour.
Arlington Public Schools will be closed tomorrow due to a scheduled teacher work day. Alexandria and Fairfax County schools, among other local school systems, have announced that they will be closed Tuesday due to the snow.
… WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 11 PM EST TUESDAY…
* PRECIPITATION TYPE… SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS… 4 TO 8 INCHES… WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.
* TIMING… SNOW WILL DEVELOP BETWEEN 7 AM AND 10 AM TUESDAY MORNING. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED DURING THE MIDDAY AND AFTERNOON HOURS. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TUESDAY EVENING.
* TEMPERATURES… IN THE 20S WHEN SNOW BEGINS TUESDAY MORNING… THEN FALLING INTO THE TEENS TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. WIND CHILL VALUES WILL BE IN THE SINGLE DIGITS TUESDAY AFTERNOON… FALLING TO AROUND 10 BELOW ZERO TUESDAY EVENING.
* WINDS… NORTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH… INCREASING TO 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS AROUND 30 MPH TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.
* IMPACTS… ROADS WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY. THE COMBINATION OF SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL REDUCE VISIBILITY TO BELOW ONE-HALF MILE AT TIMES. TRAVELING WILL BECOME DANGEROUS TUESDAY. THE MORNING COMMUTE MAY BE IMPACTED BY THE SNOW… AND SIGNIFICANT IMPACT IS EXPECTED FOR THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING COMMUTE.
A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL… KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT… FOOD… AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.
The Barnes & Noble store in Clarendon was the scene of an alleged armed robbery today. Police responded around noon to the bookstore at 2800 Clarendon Blvd, in The Crossing…
The Arlington County Fire Department is reviving a door logo last seen on county vehicles more than 50 years ago. At the same time, the department is gradually upgrading its vehicles…
Statutes of Liberty discusses how the DACA program came to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Clarendon’s Maison Cheryl says it is not closing for good but rather undergoing a “fall refresh.” Over the last week, ARLnow has received several emails from readers asking whether the…
Now you can have fun with your family and friends when deciding where to eat!
Just hop aboard The Lunch Train and set the destination for: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or nightlife!
– No app necessary. Simply go to the website if you’d like!
– No account necessary
– Use your current location or a desired location
– Add restaurants you’re interested in, invite your friends, and play the game!
Lyon Park & Ashton Heights’ biennial home & garden biennial tour is back. The tour will include contemporary custom homes, older historic bungalows as well as renovated properties. One of the stunning homes on the tour is pictured above. In addition to beautiful & unique homes, the Villa & Vistas ’22 event will conclude with a festive reception at the Lyon Park Community Center at 414 N Fillmore Street, Arlington VA 22201. What could be better right?
All proceeds from this event will go to the Lyon Park Citizens Association (LPCA) towards our neighborhood jewel & hub, the Lyon Park Community Center (LPCC).
When: Sunday, October 2nd, Noon – 4 PM.
Where: Meet to get your tickets and the tour map at the Lyon Park Community Center (414 N Fillmore Street) We will have a table with information outside.
Join us as we explore Vini Franchetti & their two sister vineyards Passopisciaro (Sicily) and Vini Franchetti (Tuscany) for our Sicily/Tuscany Wine Dinner!
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 6pm
Special Guest: This wine dinner we will be hosting the wine maker