(Updated at 12:30 p.m.) Due to an expected snowy evening commute, federal employees are being allowed to leave work early.
“Employees should depart 2 hours earlier than their normal departure times and may request unscheduled leave to depart prior to their staggered departure times,” employees were told.
Other organizations and facilities are also closing early due to fears of a messy commute like that of January 20, 2016 or January 26, 2011. Arlington Public Schools announced Monday night that all schools will close two hours early “because of the current forecast for freezing rain and snow at dismissal time tomorrow.”
Update for Tue, Jan. 29: All APS Schools & Offices Will Close 2 Hours Early Because of the current forecast for freezing rain and snow at dismissal time tomorrow, all APS schools and offices will close two hours early on Tue, Jan. 29. Visit web for details.
— Arlington Public Schools (@APSVirginia) January 29, 2019
Arlington County government offices and facilities are closing at 4 p.m., while courts are closing at 3 p.m. Tonight’s County Board meeting, however, is still continuing as scheduled.
Arlington County government offices & facilities will close today, Jan. 29, at 4 p.m.; Courts close at 3 p.m. The Board Recessed Meeting will continue as scheduled, starting at 3 p.m.
Visit the Closings, Delays & Cancellations page for detailed info: https://t.co/yblFhDFuqe
— ArlingtonVA (@ArlingtonVA) January 29, 2019
More closures, announced Tuesday morning by Arlington’s Dept. of Parks and Recreation.
Arlington Public Schools have announced they are closing two hours early and have cancelled all afternoon/evening activities in school buildings. DPR will proceed as follows:
- All Enjoy Arlington classes, 55+ classes and nature center programs with start times of 3:30 p.m. or later today are cancelled in all County and School buildings.
- Sports activities, leagues and instructional programs in APS buildings are cancelled.
- Sports activities, leagues and instructional programs in County buildings with a start of 3:30 p.m. or later today are cancelled, including the Clubhouse and covered batting cages.
- Carver, Drew and Gunston Community Centers are closed today.
- All other community centers and the Gunston Bubble will close at 4 p.m.
Advice to drivers from VDOT:
Crews have brined bridges and ramps throughout northern Virginia and are staging along roadways today in preparation of winter weather expected during the p.m. rush hour.
VDOT Asks Drivers To:
- Monitor weather closely, as forecasts can improve or worsen quickly.
- Plan ahead to avoid driving during snow and freezing conditions today. Plan to leave and be home early if possible.
- Check road conditions along your route before leaving, and plan to delay travel if road conditions become hazardous.
- Download the free 511 app for Apple and Android, visit www.511virginia.org, or call 511 from any phone in Virginia.
- Give plows and treatment trucks plenty of room. Ensure that you have enough gas, wiper fluid, proper tires, medication, and an emergency car kit.
A proposed bridge for bicyclists and pedestrians between Crystal City and the Southwest Waterfront area of D.C. has received $20 million in federal funding to move forward. When complete, the…
A 3 BD/2 BA condo with views of the Washington Monument and a freshly painted 4 BD/2 BA home is included in Home Hunt Highlights.
So you want to make wine? Walk through a day of winemaking in The Nose That Knows.
In the shadow of Amazon’s HQ2, the Americana Hotel stands vacant and ready for redevelopment. The hotel at 1400 Richmond Highway, which JBG Smith purchased in late 2020, is in…
Now you can have fun with your family and friends when deciding where to eat!
Just hop aboard The Lunch Train and set the destination for: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or nightlife!
– No app necessary. Simply go to the website if you’d like!
– No account necessary
– Use your current location or a desired location
– Add restaurants you’re interested in, invite your friends, and play the game!
Lyon Park & Ashton Heights’ biennial home & garden biennial tour is back. The tour will include contemporary custom homes, older historic bungalows as well as renovated properties. One of the stunning homes on the tour is pictured above. In addition to beautiful & unique homes, the Villa & Vistas ’22 event will conclude with a festive reception at the Lyon Park Community Center at 414 N Fillmore Street, Arlington VA 22201. What could be better right?
All proceeds from this event will go to the Lyon Park Citizens Association (LPCA) towards our neighborhood jewel & hub, the Lyon Park Community Center (LPCC).
When: Sunday, October 2nd, Noon – 4 PM.
Where: Meet to get your tickets and the tour map at the Lyon Park Community Center (414 N Fillmore Street) We will have a table with information outside.
Join us as we explore Vini Franchetti & their two sister vineyards Passopisciaro (Sicily) and Vini Franchetti (Tuscany) for our Sicily/Tuscany Wine Dinner!
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 6pm
Special Guest: This wine dinner we will be hosting the wine maker