(Updated at 3 p.m.) Some local businesses are making it through the pandemic just fine, but others are still struggling.
Restaurants — particularly those that rely on sit-down and bar business — are among the hardest hit. In New York City, a new report said that 9 in 10 restaurants couldn’t pay their August rent. Here in Arlington, one long-time local restaurant owner estimated in April that 30-40% of restaurants could ultimately close as a result of the pandemic.
Talks about another round of coronavirus stimulus on Capitol Hill have been stalled for month, but are reportedly restarting. A new aid package is likely to include new relief for small businesses, airlines and others.
Unfortunately, that will come too late for a number of Arlington businesses. Here are the fallen — a list of local businesses that have closed over the past 6+ months, since the first coronavirus case in Arlington.
- A Deli (Pentagon City)
- Cinthia’s Bakery II (Columbia Pike)
- Little Beet (Rosslyn)
- Arlington Pharmacy (Bluemont)
- Sugar Shack (Columbia Pike)
- Legal Sea Foods (Crystal City)
- Classic Cigars and British Goodies (Clarendon)
- Lou Lou (Clarendon)
- Aabee Express (Pentagon City)
- Sam Torrey Shoe Service (Lee Highway)
- Red Hook Lobster Pound Truck
- Bar Louie (Crystal City)
- Next Day Blinds (Virginia Square)
- Stageplate Bistro (Ballston)
- Hair Cuttery (Courthouse)
- Ben’s Chili Bowl (Rosslyn)
- MidAtlantic Urgent Care (Virginia Square)
- Cafe Pizzaiolo (Shirlington)
- DAK Chicken (Shirlington)
- Adagio Ballet (Lee Highway)
- Poke Bar (Rosslyn)
- Boston Market (Columbia Pike)
- Saffron Dance (Clarendon)
- Roots (Pentagon City)
- Olive Oil Boom (Courthouse)
- Champps (Pentagon City)
It should be noted that not all of the above closed as a direct result of the pandemic. Sam Torrey Shoe Service, for instance, closed after the owner decided to move to the Outer Banks.
Know of any others not mentioned here? Let us know in the comments.
Roads across Arlington are largely snow-covered — or at least slushy, in the case of major routes — despite the work of county and state crews. Driving conditions are difficult,…
As locals eat their lunch, all eyes are on the skies. Snow — likely heavy snow — is about to start falling in Arlington. County and state crews say they’re…
Students and parents in the middle of a tug-of-war between Arlington Public Schools and newly-inaugurated Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin.
Explore the Ballston neighborhood which has a vibrant mix of residential, restaurants, retail, recreation, office and more in this week’s Neighborhood Spotlight.